Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Decision time . . . . . your thoughts?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Decision time . . . . . your thoughts?

Postby LckyTylr » 11 17, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Well folks, I'm thinking about a change for 2013 Elk.

This has been my 5th elk season. As many of you know, I haven't notched an elk tag yet, and it's starting to get me down. I'm NOT the kind to ever quit, in fact, if something defeats me, I become consumed with the desire to get the upper hand in the next battle. After 5 seasons of getting licked, I'm at a full-bore blood boiling stew with elk right now. As my Wife would be happy to tell you, I am irritable and grouchy when I allow myself to think about it. I don't like losing, and so far, I have not even come close to sealing the deal.

So, I'll face some realistic expectations so that we can't all just assume that I'm crazy. I figured the first 2 years would be learning curves, I was new to the state, new to Western hunting, new to Elk . . . . . lots of new stuff. BUT, it's still just hunting, trying to utilize the terrain and wind to your advantage to get within stick and string range of your quarry, nothing new to a successful whitetail hunter. Back to realism, after the first two years, the bulls went silent, the game had changed and I was starting all over again. To make it more difficult, the elk I was playing with the first two years were not anywhere to be found. UGH . . . . new spot, new things to learn. I was growing with each experience, but not any closer to a notched tag. So, the next two years were spent trying to find new elk to play my game. That was VERY difficult, nothing was talking and I couldn't seem to stumble into fresh sign. Finally, this last Spring, I found Elknutforums!!!!! Yay!!!! I learned a lot and you guys really fueled my fire. I spend 5 straight weekends leading up to the season scouting a new area and BAM, it paid off. As you have seen in other posts of mine, I found a honey hole, helped a buddy kill his first elk, and then we watched my honey hole catch fire and I couldn't access it the rest of the season!!! Soooo, mid season . . . . . again . . . . I found myself looking for new elk to play my game. Like a dummy, I didn't have a backup spot. I finally found elk on the last day that I could hunt, it was a real chore, pushed myself harder than I had ever pushed, both thighs cramped up numerous times and fully locked up, bleeding feet . . . . the whole deal. I got within 40 yards of 8 elk, but couldn't slip an arrow through before the wind gave me up.

Anyways . . . . . . as you can probably tell, I'm pretty frustrated, which is exactly what is NOT supposed to happen with a sport that's supposed to be fun and enjoyable. I guess that's an oxymoron, because solo archery elk hunting the back country without pack animals can be a pretty punishing experience. Anyway, I find enjoyment in the chase, the miles of hiking and climbing, the elements, the opportunity to push myself . . . . . . but at some point, I need a little reward. I feel like a dog whose master keeps asking him to sit and sit and sit and sit, but never gets his head scratched or patted. Eventually, that dogs going to chew masters hunting boots.

I'm not going to give up, I can't give up, because I can't lose and I don't quit, but dang it . . . . . something has to change.

Here's where I need your help. Each year for the last 3 years, I have been out rifle deer hunting a different unit than where I archery elk hunt, and each of the last 3 years, I have been able to find several large bulls and get within EASY rifle range during the first week of that units Rifle Elk Season. So, while my archery tag has already been wasted, I can find bulls in a different unit. They are always in a beautiful area that seems to be overlooked by the horse hunters and they are there for the taking. The problem is that this particular unit has it's rifle season in Mid October and the archery season follows in early November. It's not very ideal, as these elk start their migration from this high area to their wintering area by the time archery season rolls around and they are very unpredictable . . . . . and they are done bugling for the most part. This year, I found a GIANT bull the first few days of the rifle season, he bugled his fool head off at me for an hour the day that I shot my buck. Soooooooooooo, I'm VERY tempted to hang up my bow for a season and just get it done. I NEEEEEEEEEED to kill my first elk.

The biggest problem is that I'm stubborn and I had my mind made up that I was going to kill my first elk with a bow. Now I'm leaning towards just killing an elk any way possible to get it out of the way, then I can concentrate on archery. To me, this is almost a defeat.

To sum it up, next season I'm going to have my new honey hole (it didn't completely burn up), plus I'm going to ensure that I have a few backups. I'll finally be done with college, so I can take a full 7 days to hunt. I'll be in better shape next year (I was in REALLY good shape this year). I know what it takes to get it done, I just haven't gotten it done personally.

What do you think, Rifle (almost a cat in a bag), or stick with the bow and hope for the best? Sorry for the long post.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Re: Decision time . . . . . your thoughts?

Postby Swede » 11 17, 2012 •  [Post 2]

If I read you correctly I do not think you will ever be satisfied until you prove to yourself, you can kill a bull with your bow. There is nothing wrong with hunting with a rifle. I used to love it, but bow hunting is different. It appears that you will be giving up on yourself if you hang up the bow. I would not go there unless you just need the meat. Even then, beef and pork are cheaper than elk. It takes about ten years for the average hunter to kill their first elk. The benefit from hanging in there, is that after you have made enough mistakes and experienced enough setbacks, finally things start to come together so that you will know that you can get the job done. You are a truly skilled bow hunter.
It is worth noting that hunters on this forum, and others, don't all bow hunt the same. There are some universal truths but there are many nuances and tactics that we learn to adapt to our hunting style and area. On another thread, a hunter commented about not reading about something in the Playbook. I have total respect and admiration for Paul and his knowledge. I have learned numerous things from him, but I would not be asking myself "what does the Playbook recommend in this situation". You have graduated, when the instinct for what you need to do comes from within yourself. The time will come when you KNOW you can get er done. Good luck.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby 2OArchery » 11 17, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Only you can decide what you want to do.

I killed my first and only bull 4 years ago with a rifle. It was easily the most exciting thing I'd ever experienced in the hunting world. I've been chasing bulls for 3 years now with my bow. I haven't killed one yet, and I've had more fun not killing bulls with my bow than I did actually killing one with my rifle.

I think if you kill one with your rifle, especially after investing so much time and effort into trying to kill one with your bow, you will be disappointed. No doubt you will be happy with a rifle kill, but it won't be the same.

I have to say, you are more dedicated than 90% of hunters out there. Not many people can try and not succeed at something for so long. I know you are frustrated, but it will only make it better when you do kill one. Just my opinion.
2OArchery

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 11 17, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I wrote a article in Extreme Elk Magazine that just came out, and in it, I wrote about 2 brothers from Texas I met over 20 years ago. They have been hunting elk exclusively with a bow for almost 40 years. Between the 2 of them, they have only taken 3 elk during that time. One died 2 years ago and the other 1 took his very 1st bull last year. They never gave up. Sure it can be frustrating, but elk are tough animals to hunt, especially with a bow, and there are a lot of hunters in the woods. But it is so rewarding when it happens. I killed a big cow on my very 1st bow hunt for elk a long time ago, and fill my freezer just about every year, all on public land with over the counter archery elk tags. If your dead set on taking a elk with a bow, hunt the rut in Sept. not after rifle season if I read your story right. Every year is a learning experience and that will increase your odds every year. I have taken 26 elk with a bow and still learn something new every year. Modern day elk on public land are not like they were 20 years ago, so I change my way of hunting them as needed. For years I was just a caller, run an stalk type of bow hunter. The last 3 bulls I have taken have been over wallows using tree stands and ground blinds in the month of Aug. I have been very, very fortunate for some reason, at having oportunities every single year for over 35 years with a shot at a legal elk while bow hunting, while my 2 friends hunting the exact same area only had a few. The key to my success is never give up, put yourself in the best area that elk hang out, which is usually far away from roads, learn the area so when hunter pressure moves elk. Learn elk habits and language, not just learn how to make elk sounds. You have to know what sound to make at the right time. That's where guys like Paul ( elknut ) come in handy. He has dedicated his life learning elk and is willing to share. Hang in there, don't give up or get frustrated, and soon you will be posting pictures on this forum. Look on the positive side, your already way ahead of a lot of hunters by seeing elk and had some experience in helping someone else. Also remember, it's not always the harvest that makes it a good hunt. I made a lot of memories over the years in elk camp and made a lot of friends. :D
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby buglmin » 11 17, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Personally, i like killing elk, and after two years of not killing a bull because of clients or work, I gun hunted this past week and killed a nice bull. Anymore, because of the growing number of archery elk hunters and the low population of elk, I'm applying to the limited enter elk tags during the first rifle hunt of the season. If I went six years without killing a bull, I would be going insane.
If I was you, I would knock a few bulls over with my gun, get a few under your belt, and enjoy a successful elk hunt and the benifits of killing an elk. Get the experiences under your belt first. And whats the difference in killing a bull at 20 yards with a bow or a gun? You did the work, worked him in close, and made the shot. No one can tell me its more of a thrill to kill one with a bow. Ive killed my share with bow compound and traditional bows, shot them with black powder, and still enjoy killing them with a rifle. Nots no more of a rush killing one with a bow. Sorry, but the thrill of killing an elk with a gun up close and personal is still a rush.
Gotta question for you? Youre beating yourself up about killing an elk with a bow, but yet you gun hunt for deer, why? I think killing a deer, especially a big buck, with a bow is more satisfying and thrilling then killing a cow or lil bull with a bow. Whatever you decide to do, just have fun doing it.
buglmin

Postby T/H » 11 18, 2012 •  [Post 6]

some of the best advice i got when i started hunting elk with my bow in 2008 was to just start putting critters on the ground and don't worry about how big he or she is. get used to killing with my bow.(thanks Rod aka slickstalker) so i've since killed a few cows a few mule deer a whitetail deer and this year killed a nice bull. oh i've had many opportunities at big bulls only to blow it at the "moment of truth" but what a fun ride it's been. cant wait to do it again next September.
T/H

Postby buglmin » 11 18, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Yessir, killing elk builds confidence in yourself and your ability...
No grets? Except maybe not killing an elk? Lol
All I'm saying is think of the experiences youre missing out on by not putting elk on the ground. In Colorado, we apply for rifle tags, first season, or black powder. If we dont draw tags, we hunt archery. And by guiding during archery season, I can scout for a black powder hunt or a rifle hunt. But the idea of not killing a bull for several seasons...I dunno
When I go out every morning to hunt elk, I expect to see an elk on the ground. Thats why I hunt hard and hunt the country I hunt in. I dont hunt elk to enjoy the scenery, or to look at the wildlife. There are two types of elk hunters...hunters and killers. Say what you want, think what you want, but I enjoy killing elk, and seeing other people kill elk. It's time to put some elk on the ground, and there is nothing wrong with killing elk with a rifle or black powder.
buglmin

Postby Swede » 11 18, 2012 •  [Post 8]

I agree with most of what Buglmin is saying, but no amount of killing elk with a rifle will satisify a person who has the personal need to get one with a bow. No amount of elk on the ground, killed with a rifle, will give you confidence that you can do the same thing with a bow. I am no elitist. I could can less what you hunt with so long as it is legal, but bow hunting is dear to me. Bow hunting is not what I do when I can not draw a rifle tag. It is never plan B.
Swede

Postby mongopino915 » 11 18, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Go kill one with the gun and there's nothing wrong with it as long as it's legal.

For me, the gun days are history. My calling is stick and string.

Good Luck.
mongopino915

Postby LckyTylr » 11 18, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Thanks guys, all good points. I keep thinking that I can talk myself into using a boomstick to put my first bull on the ground, but every time I convince myself of that, I immediately talk myself out of it. I'm a bow hunter, I killed my first whitetail with a bow and my first Elk WILL fall to a broadhead. I don't think I can characterize myself as a hunter or a killer, I have killed my fair share of deer (bow and gun). I do enjoy the scenery and seeing animals when I'm hunting, but I'm not out there sightseeing, I'm there for something to bleed. Crazyelkhunter, I read that article, very good story, I really enjoyed it. I must point out, although I had a buddy along for two of the weekends, I mostly only hunt solo, so not too many memories are made in "elk camp". My amenities include Mtn House meals and Coyote howls for conversation.

I now have the confidence that I can find elk in the first 2 days of my hunt. Previously, that was 2 days into my 3 day hunt, making it very difficult to seal the deal. Now, I'll be able to take 7 full days per hunt, I'm gonna get it done. I'll have a few different places to hunt that have elk, I know what it takes and where to go to get away from other hunters and I nearly have all the gear that I need to truly get back in there for a while.

buglmin, I kill deer with a gun because I have already killed almost a dozen deer with a bow, whitetails and mulies. I don't have to prove to myself that I can do that, it's been done. Additionally, I spend my entire archery season chasing Elk. I have had chances at deer this season and last season with my bow, but if I kill a deer, I'm far enough from my truck or a cooler that I have to pack up and head out for the weekend. i only get 4 weekends, I can't sacrifice the opportunity to kill an elk by shooting a deer that I only have a slight interest in.

Well, I'm still battling within my screwy little mind, but I'm heavily leaning towards sticking it out with my bow, after all, we have been married for 9 years now, might as well make it 10. :-) I'm REALLY hoping that I won't have to go beyond next season eating tag soup, it's really not fun.

Archery 2013 preparation begins immediately after Spring Turkey Season. We will see what happens.
LckyTylr

Postby idahoghost » 11 18, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Not a great one for giving advice. I have yet to kill an elk with my bow. All I can say is that aftering killing several (4 or 5) with a gun, I really felt it was anti-climatic. I don't feel is a difficult feat to shoot an elk at several hundreds yards. The hardest part is finding them. Bow hunting is totally different. It levels the playing field to you and them.

The challenge for me is making the right game plan, making the right decisions, at the right time to put one down with an arrow. I am more interested in my performance than the performance of 180 grains going 3000ft per second at three hundred yards. With that being said, there is nothing like having an Elk steak barbequing and knowing there is more in the freezer...
idahoghost

First Name: Larry
Last Name: Hill

Postby Swede » 11 18, 2012 •  [Post 12]

I have killed elk on opening morning of the season and in the last hour of the last day. Even though I have killed several elk on opening morning, getting an elk with a bow is never easy. Patience and persistance are two essentials for success. I have always considered success as a dead elk, but I enjoy the journey very much. As I have posted before, I stood watching a 5x5 bull standing at 25 yards, for 15 minutes, this year, before I had a shot. As I stood watching, I knew any sound or down draft could send him away in an instant. I also knew what, within my control, it would take to kill him, so I stood and waited and waited. I would hope every hunter could experience the thrill of that brief part of the hunt. I would hope every hunter could experience what it is to walk up on a bull you were able to make a well placed shot on.
I know it is disappointing to not get an elk after days and even seasons of trying. All of those disappointments will be just precious memories in the back of your mind as soon as you hang your tag on an elk. Of coarse once you do that you are hooked for good. You will need another one. You will want a bigger one.
Lckytyle, you may not characterize yourself as a hunter, but I believe you are in every sense of the word.
Swede

Postby MTLongdraw » 11 18, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Tyler,
I'm not going to sit here and tell you don't worry about it, its just hunting etc. because I've been in your exact shoes. It sucks to not get something especially when you make your life revolve around it. I hunted ten years before I killed my first bull. I shot some cows in that time but obviously I wanted a bull. My first bull was with a rifle and lets just say it wasn't exactly how I envisioned it would be. It was in flat country close to a road, basically not my style of hunting. Then this year things worked out and I got lucky with a bow. I can honestly say that neither elk is really that much more important to me. They are equally important and both mean the world to me. Its been two years now and every morning I come down my stairs and see my first bull I smile and I think about all the things I went through to get him. I very rarelely ever think of what I shot him with. And I can assure you when I get my elk back from the taxidermist in a few weeks I'll look at him every day and think of the memories I made while hunting him. What I'm saying is elk are like your kids. I don't think you love one more than the other :D If you get your first bull with a rifle its still going to mean 6 years of hard work and dedication to get that. Hell you might even cry. Nobody is going to say your less of a hunter because of how you killed it, if they do, forget about 'em. Do what it takes to get it down. People tell me it gets easier after your first.
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Postby cnelk » 11 19, 2012 •  [Post 14]

Tyler
To make a good cake, all the ingredients must be correct... eggs, flour, water, oil, baking time, etc - FROSTING is last
You can still enjoy the cake without the frosting but it is MUCH sweeter with it!

To me elk hunting is like baking a cake.
You MUST have all the ingredients!
[A good camp, good friends, elk country, time, etc...]

SHOOTING an elk is the Frosting!!!

Just keep making your cake... eating it as you go... the frosting will come!
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby T/H » 11 19, 2012 •  [Post 15]

after reading your story again.......i think you are on the cusp. it's just a matter of time now. as close as you are getting to them you are narrowing down what works and what doesn't at a given time. hang in there.
T/H

Postby easeup » 11 20, 2012 •  [Post 16]

I am also with TH on this. you have alot of the right things already going for you and you live near elk country. As a flatlander, you have to realize what a big benefit that is.
all are good points listed above.... There is great benefit also in knocking down big game with a rifle too. you do learn alot and build confidence that is all applicable to successful bowhunting....but I guess you have to pick your poison first.
One caution I will throw out there is this notion of instant success that permeates many things these days; all driven by our modern culture.Despite alot information to us, the beauty of elk hunting is not plug in and play.
easeup

Postby LckyTylr » 11 20, 2012 •  [Post 17]

Thanks Everyone, you guys are AWESOME, very inspirational. I'm going to print this out and keep it in my bow case.

I really believe that I'm going to get it done next year. I feel strongly that I'd have gotten it done this last year had it not been for the fire or if I'd had a back-up spot. Next year, I won't have that problem. 8-)

Thanks again everyone, I just needed a little pick-me-up to go along with my tag soup, the flavor was off . . . . . now I'm good to go. :-)
LckyTylr