Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips
 

What kind of hunter are you?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What kind of hunter are you?

Postby Mikeha33 » 08 27, 2014 •  [Post 1]

I was going through my stuff last night, thinking about every possible scenario I could, and thought, you know what, I'm pretty doggone optimistic about this year. That got me thinking a little bit more about other hunters, and their approaches to the season.

When you make the decision to pursue wapiti, are you an optimist honestly think you'll notch your tag, a realist, knowing more than likely you may not kill an elk, or even get a shot opportunity, or do you step into the elkwoods, do you think "what the hell am I doing here, I'll never be a 10%'er!"

I am definitely an optimist. That may lead to disappointment if I don't harvest an animal. I am OK with that. I've lost nothing (other than the financial expenses) by being there, and gained everything by being there. It just reaffirms my love for hunting, not just killing. Do most of you feel the same way, or are more of you realists, and hopefully not pessimistic about the entire hunt???
User avatar
Mikeha33
Rank: Satellite Bull
 
Posts: 310
Joined: 04 19, 2013
Location: Southeast KS
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Halsey

Re: What kind of hunter are you?

Postby Fridaythe13th » 08 27, 2014 •  [Post 2]

It would be fun to get one this year, but it would just as much fun to call one in for somebody else in our group. I think for me just seeing and hearing a bull is good enough. I have a love for the mountain's and scoring a elk is just a bonus. Good times, Good friend, Good FOOD. So I guess the answer to your question, If we go 2 for 6 in our group it would be huge. Last year we should have had 3 came home with tag soup. But we learned a lot.
User avatar
Fridaythe13th
Rank: An Elk Nut
 
Posts: 1014
Joined: 10 24, 2013
Location: Minnesota
First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Re: What kind of hunter are you?

Postby ABQ_Chica » 08 27, 2014 •  [Post 3]

Hmmm...I guess I'm an optimistic realist. Sure, I've been disappointed the two previous elk hunts, but each time I gave it my all, and didn't give up. I may have returned home empty-handed, but any time spent in elk country leaves me with a full heart...and usually some lessons learned, which is never a loss.
User avatar
ABQ_Chica
Rank: Spike
 
Posts: 143
Joined: 05 22, 2013
Location: New Mexico

Re: What kind of hunter are you?

Postby luvelkhunt » 08 27, 2014 •  [Post 4]

Optimist. I couldn't put in the time and energy it takes to do this if i looked at it any other way.
luvelkhunt
Rank: New User
 
Posts: 48
Joined: 06 01, 2014
Location: pennsylvania
First Name: kelly
Last Name: w

Re: What kind of hunter are you?

Postby Vincep » 08 27, 2014 •  [Post 5]

I'm a optimist. I'm confident I can get a elk but I drew a great tag so I don't plan on shooting any elk ;)
Vincep
Rank: New User
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 07 30, 2014
First Name: Vince
Last Name: Pacheco

Re: What kind of hunter are you?

Postby zpd307 » 08 27, 2014 •  [Post 6]

Michael, you share the same sentiment as I do. I enjoy being on the mtn. it gives me plenty of time for self reflection, it also reminds me of what truly is important in life.....
User avatar
zpd307
Rank: An Elk Nut
 
Posts: 969
Joined: 02 16, 2014
Location: zumbrota, mn
First Name: gary
Last Name: s

Re: What kind of hunter are you?

Postby Wyo67 » 08 27, 2014 •  [Post 7]

Optimist. I've succeeded before, and I'm going to do it again!
User avatar
Wyo67
Rank: Satellite Bull
 
Posts: 390
Joined: 06 10, 2012
Location: Cheyenne, WY

Re: What kind of hunter are you?

Postby one_elk » 08 27, 2014 •  [Post 8]

I am 1000% and optimist otherwise I would not be able to remain motivated through the dry spells, my current dry spell is 4 years, but I will get one this year!
User avatar
one_elk
Rank: Satellite Bull
 
Posts: 327
Joined: 07 17, 2012
Location: Colorado

Re: What kind of hunter are you?

Postby Stick » 08 27, 2014 •  [Post 9]

To enter the woods even thinking you might not score is beyond me! Most hunters are optimist I think!

All I ask for is one opportunity but I do everything possible to create that opportunity! So far for 8 years that one opportunity has presented itself and luckily I was able to take care of my side of the business. :D

Failure to fill a tag is not an option!!!
User avatar
Stick
Rank: Spike
 
Posts: 186
Joined: 08 03, 2014

Re: What kind of hunter are you?

Postby BRazz » 08 27, 2014 •  [Post 10]

Ever an optimist, since I shot a bull last year on my way back to pakc up camp on the last day of the hunt! Things can materialize in an instant, so I try to always stay ready.

But I'm not at all crazy about it, and if I don't fill my tag there are countless blessings from the trip.
User avatar
BRazz
Rank: Rag Horn
 
Posts: 280
Joined: 08 23, 2013
Location: Colorado
First Name: B
Last Name: W

Re: What kind of hunter are you?

Postby Lefty » 08 27, 2014 •  [Post 11]

No doubt Im an optimist. Now I don't think Im going to kill a 400 bull each time I hunt either. but killing the big bull as bad as I want to isn't the reason Im out there.
I find tremendous joy and satisfaction often knowing what Im doing doesn't get to be experienced by many, or anyone, And yes that big bull "will" be part of it.
Heck I give up hunting in much better areas and the chance at more elk because I quite enjoy the solitude, Im satisfied hunting alone.
Because I know I can do-it where others wont cant or dont
User avatar
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics
 
Posts: 7669
Joined: 06 25, 2012
Location: Pocatello Idaho
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: What kind of hunter are you?

Postby Trophyhill » 08 27, 2014 •  [Post 12]

I'm going to kill on this ridge or that drainage or the next ridge or the one after that or on the other side of that meadow etc. point is, never give up........ever
Certified Elk Junky
Trophyhill
 
Posts: 1175
Joined: 01 20, 2013
Location: Tijeras, NM
First Name: David
Last Name: B

Re: What kind of hunter are you?

Postby Indian Summer » 08 28, 2014 •  [Post 13]

Mikeha33 wrote: When you make the decision to pursue wapiti, are you an optimist honestly think you'll notch your tag, a realist, knowing more than likely you may not kill an elk


A realist knowing that most likely I will kill an elk. :D
User avatar
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant
 
Posts: 5378
Joined: 06 14, 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: What kind of hunter are you?

Postby Mikeha33 » 08 28, 2014 •  [Post 14]

Indian Summer wrote:
Mikeha33 wrote: When you make the decision to pursue wapiti, are you an optimist honestly think you'll notch your tag, a realist, knowing more than likely you may not kill an elk


A realist knowing that most likely I will kill an elk. :D


You dang 10%'ers!!!!! :mrgreen:
User avatar
Mikeha33
Rank: Satellite Bull
 
Posts: 310
Joined: 04 19, 2013
Location: Southeast KS
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Halsey

Re: What kind of hunter are you?

Postby bloodarrow » 08 28, 2014 •  [Post 15]

Im a super stoked optimist. Ive worked my tail off getting in shape, gear together, bow shooting great....Im ready to work as hard as it takes to put myself in position to succeed!! AND.....only 5 more days until I hit the road!!!!! Now where did that list go.....
bloodarrow
Rank: New User
 
Posts: 38
Joined: 06 04, 2014
First Name: Lance

Re: What kind of hunter are you?

Postby twinkieman » 08 28, 2014 •  [Post 16]

I am killing a bull, simple as that. :D
twinkieman
Rank: An Elk Nut
 
Posts: 774
Joined: 09 28, 2012
First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Re: What kind of hunter are you?

Postby RooseveltObsession » 08 28, 2014 •  [Post 17]

Definitely an optimist! I put myself in positions every year for shot opportunities, unfortunately, I've had some bad luck the last two seasons, in regards to shot placement. This will be the love of my life's first ever archery hunt, as a hunter, and I know we will be successful...this is our year!

Oh, she's an optimist too!

Though her first experience archery hunting with me ended with losing a bull, on the last day, after all the hard work we put in, it didn't discourage her. She is confident and unwavering in her belief that this season will be the beginning of a successful partnership. For a first time hunter, I truly am impressed with her determination and dedication to being successful; I have finally met my equal.

Good luck to you all!
RooseveltObsession
Rank: New User
 
Posts: 25
Joined: 07 07, 2014
Location: Oregon
First Name: Paul

Re: What kind of hunter are you?

Postby Duck-Slayer » 08 28, 2014 •  [Post 18]

Mikeha33 wrote:I am definitely an optimist. That may lead to disappointment if I don't harvest an animal. I am OK with that. I've lost nothing (other than the financial expenses) by being there, and gained everything by being there. It just reaffirms my love for hunting, not just killing.


+1, but I'll add too this, I generally am a 10%er, when it comes too filling my freezer with venison, haven't bought meat for my family of 4, in 9 years, this will hopefully be 10, it would be different if I was a trophy hunter! But I generally go by a simple rule on elk, you usually get maybe 2 opportunities a year where everything goes right, you can choose too release or not, I almost always choose too release! :D
Matt
User avatar
Duck-Slayer
Rank: Calf
 
Posts: 90
Joined: 04 05, 2014
First Name: M
Last Name: K

Re: What kind of hunter are you?

Postby under H2O hunter » 08 28, 2014 •  [Post 19]

Duck-Slayer wrote:
Mikeha33 wrote:I generally go by a simple rule on elk, you usually get maybe 2 opportunities a year where everything goes right, you can choose too release or not, I almost always choose too release! :D
Matt

Not sure where you are getting your percentages from? I personally have a dozen or so opportunities in a season to release an arrow, at least for the past 4 or 5 seasons. Last year I hunted 18 days and had opportunities on 15 of those days. Not all bulls of course, mostly cows and calves. But still more then 2 opportunities. I guess I am one of those 10%. I expect to kill an elk every year.
under H2O hunter
Rank: Satellite Bull
 
Posts: 384
Joined: 08 10, 2013
Location: Colorado
First Name: James

Re: What kind of hunter are you?

Postby toasty tiger » 08 28, 2014 •  [Post 20]

I am killing something. I planned my hunt around spending time with my dad and a photo op at 12,000'. Everything else is planned around a freak nasty canyon. Talked to the game warden and he has already tied a nice 5 point to a tree for me and feeding and watering it everday for the next two weeks. lol... Put in too much preparation for the opportunity not to prevent itself.
toasty tiger
Rank: Calf
 
Posts: 50
Joined: 06 13, 2014
First Name: nick
Last Name: mills

Re: What kind of hunter are you?

Postby Duck-Slayer » 08 28, 2014 •  [Post 21]

under H2O hunter wrote:
Duck-Slayer wrote:
Mikeha33 wrote:I generally go by a simple rule on elk, you usually get maybe 2 opportunities a year where everything goes right, you can choose too release or not, I almost always choose too release! :D
Matt

Not sure where you are getting your percentages from? I personally have a dozen or so opportunities in a season to release an arrow, at least for the past 4 or 5 seasons. Last year I hunted 18 days and had opportunities on 15 of those days. Not all bulls of course, mostly cows and calves. But still more then 2 opportunities. I guess I am one of those 10%. I expect to kill an elk every year.


That percentage is a little skewed because I rarely pass the first and have never passed the second.... Plus there is some grey area that you as Internet folks don't know about me. :?
Matt
User avatar
Duck-Slayer
Rank: Calf
 
Posts: 90
Joined: 04 05, 2014
First Name: M
Last Name: K

Re: What kind of hunter are you?

Postby under H2O hunter » 08 28, 2014 •  [Post 22]

Duck-Slayer wrote:
Mikeha33 wrote:

That percentage is a little skewed because I rarely pass the first and have never passed the second.... Plus there is some grey area that you as Internet folks don't know about me. :?
Matt

What's the grey area? I know that you and your wife have killed 4 elk :P
under H2O hunter
Rank: Satellite Bull
 
Posts: 384
Joined: 08 10, 2013
Location: Colorado
First Name: James

Re: What kind of hunter are you?

Postby Duck-Slayer » 08 28, 2014 •  [Post 23]

under H2O hunter wrote:
Duck-Slayer wrote:
Mikeha33 wrote:

That percentage is a little skewed because I rarely pass the first and have never passed the second.... Plus there is some grey area that you as Internet folks don't know about me. :?
Matt

What's the grey area? I know that you and your wife have killed 4 elk :P


Certain health issues, due too a vehicle running a stop sign....
Matt
User avatar
Duck-Slayer
Rank: Calf
 
Posts: 90
Joined: 04 05, 2014
First Name: M
Last Name: K

Re: What kind of hunter are you?

Postby Deafirishman » 08 28, 2014 •  [Post 24]

I am am optimist. I truly believe our group will finally score on a elk whether it be a bull or cow this season. To me, filling your tag is just a bonus in my opinion. Just being in the mountains is satisfying enough. I don't need to put an elk on the ground to make it a successful trip. Just getting there and bring on the ground hunting is a successful hunt in my book. Not many of us can say we went elk hunting. Most people only dream about it. I have been blessed with many opportunities to get in the elk woods and I don't live near any elk woods. This season I am hoping for an opportunity to take one down. Last season's first archery hunt did not present me any opportunities so I am optimistic that I will get my chance this season. Best of luck to everyone this season. Can't wait to see the pics and success stories. Hope we have a few of our own ....
User avatar
Deafirishman
Rank: Rag Horn
 
Posts: 244
Joined: 08 01, 2013
Location: Goodhue MN
First Name: Aaron

Re: What kind of hunter are you?

Postby POk3s » 08 28, 2014 •  [Post 25]

You better be optimistic and full of confidence if you're heading into the elk woods! I will say that I enjoy living in wyoming for the reason of I can hunt archery and rifle. I flat out didn't get it done during archery season last year but I went for "bigger" bulls knowing I can always get meat during rifle season if I need to. I spent all September in my elk area and when rifle season came I had a leg up on everybody else. That's a big piece of the puzzle for me. Hunting the same areas year after year + multiple seasons.
User avatar
POk3s
Rank: Herd Bull
 
Posts: 441
Joined: 05 29, 2012

Re: What kind of hunter are you?

Postby Duck-Slayer » 08 28, 2014 •  [Post 26]

POk3s wrote:You better be optimistic and full of confidence if you're heading into the elk woods! I will say that I enjoy living in wyoming for the reason of I can hunt archery and rifle. I flat out didn't get it done during archery season last year but I went for "bigger" bulls knowing I can always get meat during rifle season if I need to. I spent all September in my elk area and when rifle season came I had a leg up on everybody else. That's a big piece of the puzzle for me. Hunting the same areas year after year + multiple seasons.


You spend too much time on primos...... Lol
Matt
User avatar
Duck-Slayer
Rank: Calf
 
Posts: 90
Joined: 04 05, 2014
First Name: M
Last Name: K

Re: What kind of hunter are you?

Postby Drawnandpinned » 08 28, 2014 •  [Post 27]

Optimistic for sure and just like trophy hill its one more ridge or saddle or cast ha I almost have to be pryed away from the things I love in the outdoors (grin)
Drawnandpinned
Rank: Calf
 
Posts: 90
Joined: 05 11, 2014
First Name: Bryan
Last Name: Duersch

Re: What kind of hunter are you?

Postby 8seconds » 09 01, 2014 •  [Post 28]

With me in the woods, the elk have two chances of survival: slim and none! :D
8seconds
Rank: Calf
 
Posts: 65
Joined: 08 20, 2012
First Name: Buck
Last Name: Sheward

Re: What kind of hunter are you?

Postby dreamhunter » 09 02, 2014 •  [Post 29]

I would say I am an optimist . I go into my hunting expedition with high hopes. I am always ready to learn new things that will will help increase my chances of taking an elk. I had my chance last year ( first time in 5 yrs ). I learned that I need to calm down and control my breathing . I had that big bot at 12 yds just screaming his head off at me.It was my first time and I was definitely excited and nervous at the same time. I did it last year and I can do that or more this year.
User avatar
dreamhunter
Rank: Spike
 
Posts: 199
Joined: 08 12, 2012
Location: Kansas
First Name: Holly
Last Name: Paugh

Re: What kind of hunter are you?

Postby cliffyj50 » 09 03, 2014 •  [Post 30]

I'm optimistic that if I spend enough time bumbling around in the timber I'll run into an elk more clueless than me.
cliffyj50
Rank: New User
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 09 11, 2013
Location: Colorado
First Name: Jeff