Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

decoy near a treestand?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

decoy near a treestand?

Postby redtop » 09 23, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I've tried a stand a few times and had some elk come in but I never shot one from a tree it's been a few years now since I sat in a tree.
Found a great elky place this bow season that looks like it would be a great spot to hang a stand next year.
Just pondering whether you ever set up a decoy near your stand.
redtop
Site Sponsor

First Name: norm
Last Name: larson

Re: decoy near a treestand?

Postby Swede » 09 23, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Never again.
I tried it in years past. Some elk see a decoy and don't care. Some elk are very nervous with one. A few come up and even sniff the decoy and are curious. Most see it and go the other way. Since you are set up at a place where you expect elk to show up, why mess with that? I have observed elk that stay back and wait for the other critters to leave before they will come in. I have several decoys. I guess I could create a herd, but they never leave camp when I plan to sit in a tree stand.
If you are calling, then a decoy makes sense. The elk coming your way expect to see the elk that called. In a stand I find it best to stay quiet and wait. It can be a long wait, but it usually works out. Just be sure you are waiting at a location that gets fairly frequent elk use.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby redtop » 09 24, 2018 •  [Post 3]

That makes sense Swede thanks. I've had success with a decoy calling but have very little experience with sitting in a tree. As I get older I'm starting to think it might be good way to spend the day now and then.
redtop
Site Sponsor

First Name: norm
Last Name: larson

Postby Swede » 09 24, 2018 •  [Post 4]

A day now and then in a stand can cause you to become a tree stand hunter. Watch out.
Set a camera at a tree stand site. You may find one time of day is better than another. Where I hunted this year they came in the morning. Where I hunted in the past they came in the afternoon and evening. This year I set on a travel route. Before it was near their bedding area at water. That makes a big difference.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby lamrith » 09 24, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I would not try using a decoy for Elk. They work good for deer as deer are more territorial in nature from my limited experience. So you bring a newcomer into an area a dominant deer is in and it will want to chase the newcomer off his area.

Elk could care less about an area/territory, it is all about the ladies. Bulls in my limted experience usually want to avoid a fight until they have little choice. We hear it all the time from hunters that got a bull to respond to a locator bugle from the road, but when they got closer and bugled again the bull took his harem and went the other direction.

Get a comfy stand and settle in for the long haul, if you have a elky spot, it will work out.
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry