Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

The Old Oregon Trail

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

The Old Oregon Trail

Postby Swede » 09 12, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Outside of Baker City, Oregon there are still tracks left by passing covered wagons from over 150 years ago.
As I sat in a stand, hung and waited in by my cousin, I wondered how long it had been since an elk had passed by. I soon got out of that stand and went around scouting. There was no fresh sign anywhere near.
Later that evening, in camp this cousin said that isn't a very good tree stand location is it? I agreed and suggested that he might as well sit along the old Oregon Trail, and wait for the next wagon train, as to sit where he had placed the stand.
The point I am trying to make is that setting up a stand, just to get one up, or because there are some old elk trails nearby is a waste of time. Look for fresh and old sign together. Old and established use shows it is not a one time event. Fresh sign shows you elk are currently around and you are likely to see them in the near future. It is really good to have both.
Then it is important to set up in the right tree. All of us in the party struggled with that this season, as the cover was dense, and the elk had too many places to hide unless they were very close.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: The Old Oregon Trail

Postby Lefty » 09 19, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Swede
A few weeks back my wife and I passed though baker .

The trails visitor center is maybe one of the best

Back to the trail. There are lots of places where you can still see the trail Even more places where you can’t or won’t see elk and certainly no trees to hang a stand.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby turkeyhunter60 » 05 01, 2019 •  [Post 3]

ttt.
turkeyhunter60

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 01, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Oh geez, another "Oregon" guy :D. Welcome to the forum Frank, glad you were able to swing by. Please, pull up a log by our campfire and join in the conversations!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 05 01, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Another Oregonian. It is good to have you here Frank. More than occasionally I need someone to be on guard for me against the likes of some Washington residents. BTW: What is your experience with tree stand hunting?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics