Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Leaving gear in your stand

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Leaving gear in your stand

Postby wawhitey » 08 21, 2018 •  [Post 1]

So here pretty quick it will be time to be in my treestand hunting whitetail. Ill be getting into my stand before daylight, getting out after dark. So a shot opportunity to and from wont be a possibility. Was considering leaving my bow up in my stand overnight, so wheni head back in the a.m. i wont have to monkey with the pull up rope. Would make sneaking in and out that much quicker and quieter. Would any of you consider doing this? Only real concern i can tjink of is a bear climbing up and messing with it, but what are the odds of that? Thoughts?
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Re: Leaving gear in your stand

Postby toolman » 08 22, 2018 •  [Post 2]

good question

this is something I did last year after a lot of thought...i only have one stand and I'm in at dark out at dark so the chance of 2 legged creature coming to check things out is very slim...i leave my gear bag and bow...i have quite a hike in so the only thing i'm packing is my day bag with lunch, snacks, camo and field wipes.
toolman

Postby stringunner » 08 22, 2018 •  [Post 3]

If going to and from in the dark with no chance of a change in plans, I don’t see why not.

I have screw in baskets for gear that I leave up and bow holder screw ins. I always take my bow and pack however because I have multiple stands and I might change my mind and sit another stand the next day. Likewise, with fellow hunters in camp, I never know until I get back to camp what their day looked like and if I will need my pack to help pack meat. Also if we pack meat all night, my next morning might look different so I want my bow.

Other thoughts, I can’t imagine leaving my bow out in the woods given what I have into that vital piece of equipment. Just my opinion. I also don’t want to take any chances of a storm rolling in and blowing it out of the tree. I have been in trees when storms come in and everything can get prettt western real quick with wind. I don’t want to chance the bow falling or other branches or trees falling on it. Again just for me.

There is a stand I sit that is in a hell hole and I have towed with the idea of having a separate pack for that stand so I don’t have to haul a pack in each day. I think that is a great idea as long as I have a backup pack with essential gear still at the truck or camp in the what if scenario.
stringunner

Postby ishy » 08 22, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I leave seats, scent spray, and safety harness often, but have had enough seats chewed on I would never leave my bow. Not worth the risk.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby ishy » 08 22, 2018 •  [Post 5]

WP_20180822_9888.jpg
F Rt
WP_20180822_9888.jpg (299.1 KiB) Viewed 2474 times

Shirt we left during bear season.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L