Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Distance Markers

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Distance Markers

Postby Swede » 04 12, 2017 •  [Post 1]

When you set up a tree stand early, do you set out visible distance markers? What do you use for those markers? How important are those markers and when do you use them?

For distances greater than 30 yards I almost always have visible reference markers. My shooting limit is 40 yards, but I had one marker at 50 once. It was just easy to place one marker at 50 for that stand. Once in awhile I just memorize the distance to some easily identifiable trees, but usually pile up some natural material like chunks of wood or bark. Rarely I have used flagging. I believe the markers are critical for shots over 30 yards. Even a 30 yard marker is helpful on a 40 yard shot. That way I am only estimating the last 10 yards.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Distance Markers

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 14, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Makes sense. I have never TS hunted (looks like I'll give it a whirl this fall) but have put out distance markers sitting a few meadows. Those were just reference sticks stuck in the ground that I could see the tops of just above the grass.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby stringunner » 04 15, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I've actually thought about this many times. I have a rangefinder and often will range the same things over and over again all day long and for many days in a row, almost as if in panic mode that I will forget the distance when the big bull is there.

I have thought about a color code, red is 20, blue 30, etc that I would paint river rocks (yard scaping stones, not big but fit in your palm size) and place them strategically in my shooting lanes. Haven't done it but I keep thinking about it.

We have a spot that we call the buck stand because we can usually take a buck off of it every year if we sat it, its only good in the first 3-4 days, after that they all disappear, we don't sit it usually because there are never elk there and we don't want to miss elk at other spots. I have missed several bucks at this spot and a couple really nice ones. Two years ago I had a nice 3 point come in and he drank but never gave me a good shot at the water. He walked up the side hill a little ways and i stopped him with a little voice grunt. He was broadside. I shot over his back. He was standing in spot I had been ranging all day and I still mis judged the yardage, in my excitement and because a big bodied deer looks different than a small bush at 40 yards. It's still 40 yards though. This is a kind of buck fever I guess that I get. This is why I think the painted rock idea might help me.
stringunner

Postby Swede » 04 15, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Painted rocks Huh? That will tell people who come along, somebody is hunting that spot, and it might be a good one. Oh well, I guess they already know by the sight of your stand or blind. Just make sure what you use for markers is easily visible in low light. I vote for white rocks and a way of numbering them, like three native stones to set your painted rock on.
Swede

Postby stringunner » 04 15, 2017 •  [Post 5]

I know. It would be a marker to most people walking by, and yet like you said the stand, tree steps, linemans rope, stand, game cam, etc. all point to some one hunting the spot. Hard to know what to do. My dad sits and draws all the obstacles and the yardage. It's hard to know what the best method is.
stringunner

Postby >>>---WW----> » 04 17, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Distance markers are a great idea. Especially when you have your tree stand up in the nose bleed section. The angle of the dangle can cause problems if you don't know the distance from the base of the tree to the target.

This isn't for tree stand hunters: But before range finders came along, we used to place cow pies every 10 yards out from our pronghorn blinds in several different directions.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 04 17, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Well WW, believe it or not, but I have used cow pies for distance markers too. What else would be easier to gather up around a large water hole? One thing I prefer is something very light colored like multiple cow pies. Stringunner's idea of painting markers sounds good to me. The white paint is easier to see in low light when elk are more likely to show up.
Swede