Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Lost vs found

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Lost vs found

Postby stringunner » 03 16, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Reading RJ's newest topic on the other page got me thinking, for all you tree stand hunting gurus, what is the typical distance you can shoot from from most of your stands? And do you think tree stand hunters loose as many game animals as hunting from the ground?

Most of my stands have an average shot distance of 20-30 yards, usually to the water or main trail I'm set up on. I have shot them as far as 30 and straight down from 25 feet above.

With the exception of a bear this year (definitely a lethal shot just was unable to recover) all the game I have shot (hit) from my stands have all been recovered. Do you think those in stands recover more game because our shots are closer and the game are less wary (if that is even a true statement)? Not trying start a debate that presumes shot distance is directly related to recovered vs not recovered, we all know shots can be poor or go south for a variety of reasons. Just curious to other thoughts on this.
stringunner

Re: Lost vs found

Postby Swede » 03 17, 2017 •  [Post 2]

My guess would be the tree stand hunters recover more game than their counterparts on the ground. Rarely is game suspicious of a predator being around. They are usually, but not always more relaxed. The tree stand hunter can often be more selective in his/her shot. The critter is not looking for a caller, or anything else. In addition the shot distance is often closer. Just my thought. I have no real evidence.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Lost vs found

Postby Wahpeton » 04 08, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Longest shot I've ever taken from a treestand is 35 yards. Closest was directly underneath me.

My recovery success has been almost perfect (lost one deer from a lousy shot on my part!).....I knock on wood when I say something like that.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln
Wahpeton