Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Up and Down?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Up and Down?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 24, 2016 •  [Post 1]

What do you lock on tree standers use for your "up and down"? Climbing sticks, screw in tree steps, ladders? Just curious as to what everybody uses and why you may prefer what you currently use. Thanks.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Up and Down?

Postby Swede » 06 24, 2016 •  [Post 2]

If I am going to use a tree for several years, I like to build a 17 foot ladder then go up from there on screw in steps. If it is a one time experience then I will ascend the tree by going up only on screw in steps. Whatever it is that I use, it needs to be safe. I don't like to have to hang onto the tree with my teeth so my hands are free to manage ladders or wrenches and bolts. I never use spikes either. I must admit I don't always have a harness when I go up the first time, but I have no excuse for not as I have a good climbing harness. I just get lazy.

054.JPG
054.JPG (57.23 KiB) Viewed 2861 times

This is a picture of an old ladder I have replaced with one that looks better and more store bought.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Mukbowhunt » 06 25, 2016 •  [Post 3]

Always wear a harness! I have seen more than one buddy do the tree grab and tree step bump slide down the tree. Cheap protection. Sure it is a hassle until you get your stand set but it gets better once you have your lifeline up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mukbowhunt

Postby Swede » 06 25, 2016 •  [Post 4]

Mukbow, you are absolutely right. To have a good harness and not to use it is crazy. I have no excuse. Like you I maintain a life line in the tree, so after that is in place I am very secure. I have three lines now and am going to purchase three more. I don't want my son or friends falling out of one of their tree stands. After all, I may need them to help me pack out an elk. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby stringunner » 06 26, 2016 •  [Post 5]

A harness for sure is worn. This year we will also have safety lines installed in the trees. And my dad and I use screw in tree steps.
stringunner

Postby six » 06 29, 2016 •  [Post 6]

This year will be my first time using a tree stand. I'm taking a hang on and screw in tree steps. Definitely using a harness.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool