Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Rub Trees

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Rub Trees

Postby Swede » 06 07, 2016 •  [Post 1]

I have noticed that when I find a line of rub trees, it is a good indicator a bull is coming regularly to a particular water hole. This water hole will be a good location to watch and ambush a bull. I don't find these very often, but this situation led to my first tree stand bull. Have you ever noticed this in the forest, or do you have a line of rub trees that leads to your water hole?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Rub Trees

Postby stringunner » 06 12, 2016 •  [Post 2]

RJ got me thinking on another thread about most rubs being pre-rut or used for shedding of velvet. I definitely found this to be true last year as I had a camera/stand on a water hole with 20-25 new rubs within sight. But come opening weekend not a bull one in the area for the rest of the season. There was light hunting pressure in the area. I think the Bulls left in search of cows at around the same time the season started. Nevertheless, I still think rubs in the area are a good indicator for a great potential spot.
stringunner

Postby TurkeyBowMaster » 06 16, 2016 •  [Post 3]

I found a bunch of rubs and scrapes on a ridge and the thought came into my mind that if I were hunting whitetail I would have hung a stand over them and spent some time. Not having a stand to hand, I just made it a point to stalk through the area just about every day and ended up seeing a bull pissing in one of the scrapes. I just wasn't really sure how often hanging a stand over elk sign would lead to success as compared to deer sign.
TurkeyBowMaster

Postby Swede » 06 16, 2016 •  [Post 4]

Turkey: The line of rub trees shows that a bull is traveling through there on a regular basis. They only rub about one tree per trip. I would follow the rub line downhill first and see where it leads. From what I have seen it will often (not always) lead to water. If it fades out then check uphill. I would anticipate it will end in a bedding area. I have found these lines of rubs several times and have had success placing a stand where they end at a spring or pool. If they are on a trail that should be good too, but I have not set up on just the trail. Do you know where the line of rubs ended? Was it at water, or a meadow? A problem you may have is that I have never found a line of rub trees in the same area two years in a row. It would sure be worth checking and even if there is no line of rubs, a stand might be warranted where it had led to.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics