Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What bow holder while in stand

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What bow holder while in stand

Postby stringunner » 04 27, 2016 •  [Post 1]

What do you do with your bow while on stand?

Usually I hang mine from a small hook screwed in the tree. This keeps it tight to the tree and somewhat accessible. The problem I have is it requires me to turn and add a pretty good deal of body movement to grab it.

Last year I purchased a holder that screws in the tree and has two arms connected which allows it to swivel to different angles and places the bow out even with me or a little in front, making it easier to grab. The one I purchased didn't work. My bow was to heavy and caused the holder to not stay in the tree.

I really liked the idea but perhaps I purchased to cheap of one.
stringunner

Re: What bow holder while in stand

Postby Swede » 04 27, 2016 •  [Post 2]

I use the small screw in ones like you mentioned first. Quit being so cheap and use two or three if it will help. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ishy » 04 28, 2016 •  [Post 3]

Can't imagine anything that threads very far not holding a bow-look at what the steps hold. You might check the angle and make sure you weren't just in bark and getting actual trunk to bite into. All the swivel types I've used work great. I like a little longer better as it requires a little less movement to grab your bow. Get one at least 10-12 inches.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby stringunner » 05 03, 2016 •  [Post 4]

Ishy- I think you might be right in that I didn't have it all the way into the meat of the tree and a portion might have just been in the bark. The threads on this hanger I got are about 3 inches. I will try it again.

Swede- I can't help but be cheap- I'm saving for one of those "comfortable stands" so I can take nice long naps while sitting on stand. ;)
stringunner