Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Spring/Wallow or Pond

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Spring/Wallow or Pond

Postby Swede » 04 20, 2016 •  [Post 1]

I have a couple of spots where I can place my stand that require a decision. In each general area there is a spring together with a wallow in a secluded spot. These wallow areas are more prone to getting a bull, but the stock pond nearby gets the most elk. A large bull can go into either, but mostly bulls go to the spring with the wallow and cows to the pond. The pack out of either spot is about the same. Knowing that, which place would you prefer to wait at?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Spring/Wallow or Pond

Postby saddlesore » 04 21, 2016 •  [Post 2]

Pond.They go their to drink. By the time hunting season rolls around, even archery, wallows are not being used that much
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Tigger » 04 21, 2016 •  [Post 3]

How do you know this? Trail Camera? If so, then you know at the time you will be hunting where they tend to go. If not, can you hang trail cameras to get that info? I think if you are confident in the timing and your info, it then comes down to if you want to shoot a bull or a cow! If you post GPS coordinates, I am sure someone (or many someones) will help you with your decision!! :lol:
Tigger

Postby ishy » 04 22, 2016 •  [Post 4]

I'm going where the most elk are seen. Most of September I doubt many cows will be far from a bull especially after the first week. How is the wind in each area? Is one have a big advantage over the other for a stand?
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Swede » 04 22, 2016 •  [Post 5]

In each case the water hole and the spring is the same as far a the wind is concerned. They are close enough you might hear activity at one without being able to see what is happening and the elk can come an go without coming close to the other water location. I kinda like the small spring locations early because of the preponderance of bulls sneaking in, but a whole herd of cows and calves piling into a stock watering pond is fun to see. Also a herd bull could be with the herd especially later in the season.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Luckyman » 04 22, 2016 •  [Post 6]

Find the heaviest trail between em', or better yet the main one forking off to both?? If it works like that there, of course ;)
Luckyman