Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Too Much Water

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Too Much Water

Postby Swede » 03 15, 2016 •  [Post 1]

Do you hunt in areas with too much water to effectively focus on water holes. If you have tree stand hunted such an area, or know someone that does, where have you been able to find concentrated elk use? Trails, saddles, meadows, bedding sites or what?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Too Much Water

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 18, 2016 •  [Post 2]

Good one Swede! For the most part, where elk drink has minimal bearing on target hunting spots in W WA, N ID, and NW MT (water in every major drainage, individual draws, and at seeps coming out of the mountain side hills). Very early in SEP, one can still target active wallows. Even though the wallow usage diminishes as SEP rolls on, elk still seem to gravitate/frequent the general wallow area and this can play into TS or blind hunting. Saddles, feeding areas (meadows, clear-cuts), natural mineral licks, known travel routes, and locations close to (but not too close to) bedding areas can be target hunting areas. Of course where legal, emplacing mineral blocks/salt pellets, if done very early in the season, can create a target spot to set up.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Northman » 03 18, 2016 •  [Post 3]

Swede-

It seems like the years that there is abundant water there is also plenty of chow for them to eat as well. So I find it more difficult to pattern elk on the wet years. I live/hunt in Utah where it is legal to put out and hunt over mineral licks. I like to have a "Hard" lick that will last for a while coupled with a "Soft" lick either in powder or liquid that will carry scent up and down the canyon. I'll set it off of a game trail, or natural funnel where other people won't bump into it. I usually prefer setting on north and east facing shaded slopes. It isn't as effective as a good water hole in a dry year, but you have to play the cards your dealt. If you hunt where cattle and sheep are prevalent, sometimes they will mow down the mineral licks in short order. I just put up a trail cam to see what is hitting it and adjust my spots/game plan accordingly.
Northman

Postby ishy » 03 18, 2016 •  [Post 4]

I'm in a too much water area for sure. I picked the wallow I sit because it's high on a ridge, and I thought the only water for quite a way...well not so much. But it is close to a bedding area and a great saddle that gets lots of movement.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L