Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Is Anyone Taking a Stand Along This Season?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Is Anyone Taking a Stand Along This Season?

Postby Indian Summer » 02 27, 2016 •  [Post 1]

It can't hurt. It could make or break your hunt.

Think about it. The elk are there. So you have a choice of tactics. How many times have you heard : It was hot and they were pretty nocturnal. Or: They just weren't coming in to our calls very well. I know we've all heard: There was hunting pressure and they were really spooky.

What about the days you are just worn out and need a breather. Better to sit in a stand than lay in your tent. Heaven forbid you pull a muscle or something. Then what?

I have a friend who went to New Zealand hunting red stag. Not the ones inside the fenced hunting concessions.. free ranging stags. It was tough. But they were seeing fresh sign. So finally as a big time whitetail treestand hunter he asked his host if he had any treestands. The guy had barely heard of them. :lol: But he said he had a friend who was a welder so maybe they could make him one. Next thing he knows the guy shows up with one. A really nice one. He must have went online to look at some designs. That afternoon he hung it along a pretty good trail. That evening he went up the stand and sure enough a really nice stag of about 320 inches strolled on by and he arrowed it. The stags never looked up he said. The outfitter was amazed.

So if you have any extra room at all in the truck on the way to elk camp you might want to consider tossing a stand I there just in case. I know I my areas there are a few really sweet spots where every elk in the area passes by at one time or another.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: Is Anyone Taking a Stand Along This Season?

Postby Swede » 02 27, 2016 •  [Post 2]

I have a few that will get thrown in the truck just in case. :lol:
I know some folks that have said they were no tree stand hunters, until a few days into the hunt and then they decided to try one. I.S. you are right. Even if you consider them plan B, they can make a huge difference. The key is to find a good location and then be patient.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 29, 2016 •  [Post 3]

Yep, I have a pretty decent fixed stand set up that has not been deployed yet. It will ride over with me to elk area for sure this fall.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 02 29, 2016 •  [Post 4]

Im looking at stands for next season.
Last year I built a ground blind. But I would have likely been busted if an elk used one approach or another.

Im looking for a stand for those afternoons when I may need a nap. I've glassed a waterhole/wallow that should work. Otherwise maybe Ill pack in my popup blind,.. depends depends depends
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby ishy » 02 29, 2016 •  [Post 5]

That would be a big yes. Only sat twice in 2014 for a few afternoon hours and had elk in each time.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Erniepower » 03 17, 2016 •  [Post 6]

This will be my first year bringing a stand. It will be a home made saddle style. Easy to carry and very lightweight
Erniepower

Postby lamrith » 03 18, 2016 •  [Post 7]

Just scored a deal on a self climber a few weeks ago, so I will bring bringing a stand as well.
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby rowdycwby1 » 03 22, 2016 •  [Post 8]

I always take my api climber with me just in case I find a good spot that I can hang it!
rowdycwby1

First Name: Matthew
Last Name: Arreola

Postby Northman » 03 22, 2016 •  [Post 9]

This will be my first year hunting elk from a tree stand. I have hunted out of natural ground binds for many years and pop up blinds covered with natural veg the last few. I picked up some Lone Wolf Stands and climbing sticks plus all the harnesses and fall protection this winter. We are going to take them out this summer while scouting to get familiar with them (setting up/climbing/shooting from). To get set up into some good tree stand equipment is a little spendy $$$. So I'm really exited to use them.
Northman

Postby VT Sasquatch » 04 12, 2016 •  [Post 10]

I nearly always hunt from a treestand when bow hunting for deer. I never really put much thought into using one for elk. What is the advantage, scent and getting above their sight line? I assumes staying mobile was probably more important but maybe not?

I have a Summit climber that is really comfortable. I have taken some nice bucks out of it. Maybe I'll bring it out with me if their is room in the truck.

Forgive the beginner questions but is the strategy to find sign and set up on it and wait?
VT Sasquatch

Postby Swede » 04 12, 2016 •  [Post 11]

Tree stand hunting for elk can be very effective. The key is to find a good location and to find a good tree to hang your stand in. I usually focus on springs in semi arid areas, but that is not essential. Where ever you can predict elk will be is the location to place your stand. Trails through saddles, trails in draws or where the come together especially near bedding areas is good. Usually places where you would hang a trail camera are good.
Obviously you have the patience for a stand, and can shoot from a tree, so just like they say with real estate, it is all about location, location, location.
The advantage is that I have gone from sporadically killing elk, to about 90% success.
Swede

Postby OregonTK » 04 12, 2016 •  [Post 12]

I'm a recent convert to hunting elk from a treestand. For several years I'd sit over trails, saddles, wallows, without luck. The elk seemed to always be where I wasn't, so I'd get down and go back to calling and locating. In 2014 I located a huge wallow on a morning hunt and decided I needed to move a stand in there THAT day. So my buddy helped me take a stand down and relocate it to the new wallow. I'm going to call this a community wallow, because multiple bulls come in and use it. Not just a drop and flop that get one time use.

We got the stand hung and my buddy left at 4:05pm, at 6:20pm a bull came in and stopped to drink from the small clear creek 15 yards to my right. My stand is in a tall tamarack tree below the wallow, and there's big bushy spruce tree to my right where the creek is located....and I don't have a shooting lane to the right. But after drinking for 4-5 minutes, the bull walked toward the low end of the wallow and stopped with just his head, neck, and very edge of his left shoulder exposed. I had time to calm down and was mentally ready to make the shot and kill the small 6pt bull. Finally the bull stepped forward and turned his head to sniff the mud at 10 yards...and I drew and released. My arrow hit the sweet spot behind his left leg. The bull took off to the left and traveled almost 100 yards in less then 10 seconds. I heard a big crash and the air going out of him. I just sat down and collected my thoughts as the woods quieted down. After 10 minutes I climbed down and followed the bloodtrail to where the bull lay.

Here's a few pics...

This is the wallow from the top looking downhill toward the tree my stand is in.

I took this pic shortly before the bull showed up in 2014. The upper part has a lot of water in it, then they also dig out a pit below. The bull was quartered away in the dry spot just below my broadhead.

Took a quick cell phone pic as soon as I found him.

Then my 2 hunting partners came up and helped me butcher the bull.

My arrow had hit a rib low on the far side and broke off when he crashed. It had penetrated the bulls heart.

If you rattle, they will come!
Stickbows...putting the arch back in archery
OregonTK

Postby OregonTK » 04 12, 2016 •  [Post 13]

The first bull on this trailcam video series came in a few days after I killed my bull and plunked down 10 yards from my stand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fRkuOeUSPA
If you rattle, they will come!
Stickbows...putting the arch back in archery
OregonTK

Postby Swede » 04 12, 2016 •  [Post 14]

Welcome to the forum Oregon. We often discuss what make a good tree stand sight. I think your video and pictures go a long way in defining what one is. Thanks for the video and the pics too.
Swede

Postby six » 04 13, 2016 •  [Post 15]

Cool pics and video Oregon. I am really excited to see your success as I found a wallow last year that is very remote.

I will be taking a hang on stand with me this year. Do you guys use screw in steps when packing in a stand 2 miles? I have a climber but it is heavier.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby Swede » 04 13, 2016 •  [Post 16]

six wrote:Do you guys use screw in steps when packing in a stand 2 miles?

Yes and even farther. You can make it a more productive trip in for scouting by taking your stand, steps and a trail camera. I use the lightest steps I have and cheat by not having a safety line. My bad there, but I admit I don't carry as much in on long hikes.
Swede

Postby Northman » 04 22, 2016 •  [Post 17]

OregonTK- Thats a Sweet bull! How do you like those footed shafts?
Northman

Postby ABQ_Chica » 05 09, 2016 •  [Post 18]

Welcome, OregonTK! A lot of those pics look familiar. ;)

I'm also a recent convert to treestand hunting, so come September 1, that's where I'll be.
ABQ_Chica

Postby Deanmac » 05 11, 2016 •  [Post 19]

Oregen TX great story and pics
Deanmac