Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Tree Stand Gems

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Tree Stand Gems

Postby Swede » 11 24, 2015 •  [Post 1]

Some tree stand locations are productive and some are fantastic. The great ones might be likened to gold nuggets or precious gems, while others get abandoned after the hunter wears out and gives up. Why are some so good, and how can you set up with confidence? How do you find a good location, and how long would you expect you might have to wait for an elk? If I live in New York how can I have a good idea where to look, when I arrive at my hunting location? I know this is a lot of questions, but unless I am in great physical condition plus a very knowledgeable elk hunter, having a good tree stand is a most productive tool, and will increase your odds at success. I would even say, if you are in great condition and are knowledgeable, tree stands are an excellent way to fill a tag.
I have a tree stand location that has produced many elk for me and those I hunt with. It was an abandoned location. Someone had left it behind, and I sat where they did for weeks, all for naught. Obviously there is more to tree stands than just finding a good location. We will discuss this in a future thread.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Tree Stand Gems

Postby Indian Summer » 11 25, 2015 •  [Post 2]

I know one thing... finding the right tree is a process. Once you have a knack for picking trees you'll find that in any given area there is usually only one tree that stands out as THE one. But then once you spend time there seeing what happens you might decide to make an adjustment and move 1 tree or 10 yards over.

Once I'm in the right tree I feel deadly. Like a hawk just sitting there watching the area for the slightest movement. You spot the game before they spot you which is priceless and your scent is above the ground plane.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 11 25, 2015 •  [Post 3]

Great point Joe. That is very true. Now, what about finding the right 1/4 acre to place a stand at?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 11 25, 2015 •  [Post 4]

That's different. Unless water is really scarce I would have a hard time sitting in a stand in a place that is new to me. The places I hunt all have water everywhere as well as wallows so sitting on either is just a random shot in the dark. To narrow a place down to that 1/4 acre is something that takes time. It takes multiple elk sightings until the places that elk spend the most time stand out.

The only exception would be if there is some type of bottleneck such as very limited cover connecting two good areas or a geographic feature such as a mile long cliff that concentrates travel corridors making them a higher percentage spot than random surrounding spots.

After hunting one of my Wyoming spots for 3 years the last time I left there I finally came upon a spot that stands out to me as somewhere I could hang a stand and patiently wait. It has it all. I don't think you could possibly sit there for more than 3 days without getting a shot. But like I said... it took me quite awhile to come upon what I consider to be the gem of the area.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro