Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

December Elk Hunt

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

December Elk Hunt

Postby GWH » 11 11, 2015 •  [Post 1]

Hey guys,

I was lucky enough to be able to purchase a December Archery 6x tag for unit 34 NM. While the success rates on this hunt are very low, I intend to give it my best effort this year! One of the methods I was considering, instead of the traditional spot and stalk, was placing a treestand on a water hole where I have some bulls somewhat patterned, but don't really know where to begin as I have never hunted out of a treestand.

Have any of you attempted hunting with a tree stand in December? Can this be an effective method this time of year? Any general advice for a beginner?

Thanks for the help!
GWH

Re: December Elk Hunt

Postby Swede » 11 11, 2015 •  [Post 2]

I have not hunted elk in December, but tree stands work for deer. The key is to find a location where elk activity can be predicted. Really that is the objective for any time. I would say with the cool weather and possible more available water, water holes may not be your best opportunity. I would check trails and passages, especially near feeding areas. A low spot in a fence line may be a good place to wait. Check for good sign, and set up a camera to verify frequency of use.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics