Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Shooting From Your Stand

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Shooting From Your Stand

Postby Swede » 11 11, 2015 •  [Post 1]

Some right handed shooters have a hard time shooting to their right, and at least one left handed shooter, I know, often talks about right handed stands. He can't shoot far to the left. I would assume the people with that problem are nervous in their stand and stay too close to the tree or remain seated. I walk out to the far end of my stand and shoot from there. That way I have about 270 degree of shooting radius. I can't shoot around quite as far on my right as on my left, but going out to the ledge, makes me dangerous to a lot more animals.
It probably goes without saying I do not have any more slack in my tether when out on the ledge. I can't fall forward. I could fall down onto the stand only if my feet went out from under me, and even then I would be pulled back into the stand. I tether my harness above me to where it is nearly snug when I sit down. It also calms my nerves to be secured to the tree and unable to fall far. This is just a pointer or two to hopefully help you become a more lethal predator.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Shooting From Your Stand

Postby BrentLaBere » 11 12, 2015 •  [Post 2]

Interesting point. Do you position yourself facing the game or away from it to conceal yourself more? I have often faced my stand away from the action to hide my movement. Wondering if you do the same for your stands?
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Swede » 11 12, 2015 •  [Post 3]

I face the action as much as possible. I watch and move when they are not looking towards me, and I like to be up near the canopy of the tree I am in, and those surrounding me. I have never shot a deer or elk while seated.
I guess this is as good a time as any to add the second Shooting From Your Stand point that was on my mind. Several people I know, consistently miss or just wound their elk when they shoot. One fellow got lucky and spine shot a nice bull. If it had not been close the shot would have missed. Aside from just missing due to excitement, shooting high is the most common miss I have heard hunters talk about. To avoid that problem 1. bend and turn at the waist. Turn around some if you cannot turn enough at the waist. I am convinced most of the high misses are due to cocking of the bow hand by the shooter. Another thing hunters say is that forgot to look through their peep. For hunters using a peep and pin setup, it is important to take your time and line up your sights on the exact place you want to hit. Be certain you are looking through your peep and not above it. You have the time, and it does not take long. I often say I do not shoot elk. I shoot a place on the elk. It is a very small point that I aim at. It just so happens, that when that spot is pierced by an broad-head, the elk soon dies.
Swede

Postby Swede » 11 13, 2015 •  [Post 4]

A friend on mine had to prepare to shoot, almost immediately after he got into his stand. It was not his stand, and he had to search a little to find it. As soon as he was seated and secure, a herd with a large bull came down the hill across from him, and made its way in. That is unusual. The most common thing is to wait for hours before anything shows up. At least that is my experience.
During that time I make preparations for when the elk will come around. I am sure my stand is quiet, or I minimize creaks and squeaks. If I have one, and I do in some of my stands, I find out what it will take to avoid it. I have my arrow nocked and hanging on the tree beside me. Another thing I do is range some targets I can use for reference points. That way when the elk shows up I don't have to range them or guess. It saves time and motion.
Swede

Postby rowdycwby1 » 12 16, 2015 •  [Post 5]

I just started shooting from a stand 3 years ago and my biggest problem was drawing back then bending at the waist to get on my target. It caused me a lot of grief remembering that simple thing.
rowdycwby1

First Name: Matthew
Last Name: Arreola

Postby ishy » 12 19, 2015 •  [Post 6]

Being sorta new to tree stands (not sure how long I can claim this after 1 elk, 2 deer, and 2 bears out of trees), I still want my back firmly against the tree. I've stayed seated as I don't trust myself standing once animal is in range. I'm afraid I'd forget I was in a tree and just step too far! I always point the stand 90 degrees from where I expect the shot, and to this point haven't had to stand yet.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Swede » 12 19, 2015 •  [Post 7]

Ishy, I am going to assume that you wear a safety harness and are strapped securely to the tree at all times. Do you make sure that your strap is secured high enough, so when you stand up, any potential fall is very short? When you are seated, are you near the end of your tether? I cannot reach my feet unless I lift them up. The strap will not allow me to bend down that far. Do you only place your stand in trees that are large enough to not sway around when you shift your weight? I am a little nervous getting in and out of my stand, even though I use a safety line. After I get in, I am good to go. Hopefully this helps a little. BTW, I have never sat to shoot an animal, and may go to the end of the stand platform to shoot.
Swede

Postby ishy » 12 29, 2015 •  [Post 8]

When I first started I didn't strap in. It was usually just a few hours at dusk for bears. I know- I have since repented. The standing thing is just to more to limit motion once an animal is close. I don't mind standing at all, just don't feel the need unless you have to shoot a different direction and shooting at a wallow or bear bait I haven't needed to yet. I am usually trying to film stuff by myself and have my camera set for a seated shot. Bear/Deer have been much more accommodating for the camera.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Swede » 12 30, 2015 •  [Post 9]

I think sitting to shoot is great. You don't feel comfortable standing, and I don't feel comfortable sitting. For me sitting is awkward and hard to draw my bow. To each his own, as long as you can get the job done. I can imagine where each style has its disadvantages. I have to move and there is the potential for being seen or heard. You have more shooting limitations. With both styles there are things that can be done to minimize the potential problems. You can set the stand for best coverage. I use a very quiet stand and move only when the animal in looking away.
Swede