Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Who's Treestand Elk Hunting This Year?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Who's Treestand Elk Hunting This Year?

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 12, 2015 •  [Post 1]

Anyone here have plans for a treestand during their elk hunts this year? I've considered it & have done so in the past but not sure if I will implement it or not, just love running & gunning so much! (grin) If you are what do you plan sitting over?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: Who's Treestand Elk Hunting This Year?

Postby Lefty » 03 12, 2015 •  [Post 2]

I have a location all picked out. If I hunt near my in-laws place.
Sits over a sheepmans developed water tanks. Sweet location
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 12, 2015 •  [Post 3]

If I can swing a scouting/camping trip to ID in early August, I may prep area and emplace a TS at this spot. It's a transition saddle that gets good elk traffic. I'm also not one that really likes to sit in one spot, but, it's probably time I gave a TS it's day in court at least for a few hunts this fall.

IMG_0999.JPG
IMG_0999.JPG (223.91 KiB) Viewed 13670 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 12, 2015 •  [Post 4]

Is there another reason aside from the rub that you would put a treestand there?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 12, 2015 •  [Post 5]

ElkNut1 wrote:Is there another reason aside from the rub that you would put a treestand there? ElkNut1

Yes sir. There are elk on this saddle almost every single night singing their hearts out and tearing up the countryside. There are several intersecting trails on the saddle, coming from multiple directions. The saddle is located 1/4 the way down a long ridge that separates two steep, pretty large alder draws which contain both feeding/bedding areas. The thing is they only seem to frequent this saddle at night (bugle city and transitioning back and forth) and move off right after first light, come back right at dark. I know they move across the saddle "sometimes" during the hours of daylight but the majority of traffic is nightime.
WapitiTalk1

Postby 8upbowhunter » 03 12, 2015 •  [Post 6]

We plan to do some tree stand hunting again this year. We plan to run and gun most of the day and sit in our climbers the last 2 hours in the afternoon over some trails between bedding and feeding areas.
8upbowhunter

Postby wawhitey » 03 13, 2015 •  [Post 7]

Ill be doing the treestand technique of sitting on my butt waiting all day, but ill be doing it on the ground. My main spot is a very active wallow, secondary spot is a heavily used game trail between feeding / bedding areas and a string of smaller wallows that are surrounded by huge rubs
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Scoutman » 03 13, 2015 •  [Post 8]

I hunt 75% out of a tree over water or wallows. We run and gun the rest of the time if the elk are responsive and terrain allows. We are almost 100% opportunity every year this way.But unit we hunt is very dry so water is at a premium.
Scoutman

Postby ishy » 03 14, 2015 •  [Post 9]

I will put in some time in the air. I'm a newbie after the last couple years seeing pics on a trail camera I've had to try. First year was pretty discouraging, lots of hours logged and got skunked. Moved to a mid day stand placement last year above the wallow. With a new job only sat twice. First had a cow with a calf in the wallow for .5 hour, but no cow tags in my zone. Second time had a herd bedded in the next draw, with bull growling about every 40 minutes. I could see Swedes words in my mind as I was tempted to get down and chase. About 2pm he starts bugling every minute and getting closer and branches breaking! I think this is it, this is happening! I grab my bow, flip on my video camera just as a cow rounds the corner followed by a solid herd bull. She doesn't turn up the trail at the wallow and keeps going up the oppisite hillside. I can't believe it, 2pm about 70 degrees and she doesn't go to the water! The bull comes into 50 yards straight on, bugles...looks at the wallow...the cow...the wallow...and then follows the cow. Kicker of the whole deal was if I had left my stand in last years spot set up more for evening sits he would've been 10 yards and broadside! Painful experience, but sure gets the heart pumping better than napping mid day.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Swede » 03 14, 2015 •  [Post 10]

I sure plan to tree stand hunt this year. I am scheduled for what is a very rare eye operation next week. If things go as planned, I may feel more comfortable spending more time on the ground. I would at least like to have that as a better quality option than it is now.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 14, 2015 •  [Post 11]

Swede wrote:I sure plan to tree stand hunt this year. I am scheduled for what is a very rare eye operation next week. If things go as planned, I may feel more comfortable spending more time on the ground. I would at least like to have that as a better quality option than it is now.

A year without you in a treestand John? Well, that's like Santa behind the wheel of a Studebaker on Xmas eve (wait, you might have one of those stashed in the shed.. lol). Seriously, I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers as you go through the headlight adjustment next week. Shoot, you may end up with some kind of spotting scope vision after it's all said and done, able to see elk two states away :D What kind of procedure are they doing if you don't mind me asking (I got if you don't wish to discuss). RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 03 14, 2015 •  [Post 12]

The doctor(s) are slicing off the surface of the cornea and removing some granules that have grown there and deeper. They will also be smoothing the surface of the cornea removing some ridges. I am not sure what they call the operation. I think the removal of the ridges is supposed to relieve my stigmatism. I don't know that for sure. I should have asked, but that is one I missed. I had a lot of questions. I am told the prospect is getting better vision is very good. The doc did not say I would be able to see elk two States away. I could have asked, but you probably know there are times we just don't think it all through. :D
Swede

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 14, 2015 •  [Post 13]

swede, nice to see you stop by! I wish you the best sir in your operation. Is this an in the office operation or will you be hospitalized? Just want to know if I should send flowers! (grin) Kidding of course! Will you be in the hospital?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 03 14, 2015 •  [Post 14]

The operation will be in the Oregon Health Sciences University Casey Eye Clinic. It is an in an out procedure. It takes the doc(s) about an hour to do their thing, and 3 months for me to heal up. Typical huh? I will get the left eye worked on first. Depending on how that goes, I plan to have another operation after hunting season. One of the questions I did remember to ask was; will I be back to full capability before mid August? lol
Swede

Postby easeup » 03 14, 2015 •  [Post 15]

Prayers are lifted up for you Mr Swede for quick healing.
easeup

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 14, 2015 •  [Post 16]

Well John, it appears you have your priorities in order! Hope all goes well with a speedy recovery, we don't have a lot of Septs. left! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Elkduds » 03 15, 2015 •  [Post 17]

Swede, good to see your name here again. A full and speedy recovery to you, then onto "death from above" for elk under your stand. Is the custom to whizz on them b4 or after shooting? Also, congratulations on your book RE tree stand hunting.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Swede » 03 15, 2015 •  [Post 18]

I did not mean to hijack the thread. Rather it was my intent to say, I plan to tree stand hunt, and go back to ground hunting some too if things work out well. I appreciate all the prayers and good thoughts. I will keep you posted on how things go. I would like to be dangerous to the elk, when I want be on the ground. I love tree stand hunting, but versatility is still where it is at. I think being versatile was something Elknut has advocated more than once.
Swede

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 16, 2015 •  [Post 19]

Swede is spot on! Being one dimensional in the elkwoods can hinder ones success. This means being able to explore any means necessary to being a consistent elk killer! (grin)

I believe knowing when to call & not to call is at the top of the list! The calls should be one of an elk hunters most important tools & knowing how to use them! It's not the only tool but it tops our list for successful call ins every year! New or old hunter, every one can learn & should learn! It's just another tool for the versatile hunter!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 03 28, 2015 •  [Post 20]

Just a note to let you know I had my surgery last Wednesday. All went well an I am doing great. I can't play on the computer much now. I guess I am like an addict going through withdrawals. This is different that the withdrawals we all get after the hunting season. Anyway thanks for your thoughts and prayers. See ya soon.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 03 29, 2015 •  [Post 21]

I've hunted from a treestand a total of about 3 times with no luck. Basically just on travel routes. But I have an incredible spot picked out in Wyoming for one. There is a major major trail that runs along a bench across a creek drainage from one ridge to another. It seems like every bull you see is covered in mud but wallows are scarce. But I found them last year! Several of them and the trail connects them. There are countless trees to choose from and the timber is very open so there is really good shooting without even doing any trimming. The one spot I think is the money spot has an upper and lower wallow and the highway runs in between them. I'm jammed up this year... again, with an Alaska hunt taking up the majority of September so I won't get to try a stand. Who knows when I will. But one day when I get back there with a bow I will start and end my days there. Dare I use the word guaranteed? I'm pretty sure that a person could at least shoot a cow from a stand there. The bull to cow ratio is darn good though so I know if a cow comes by a bull will be close behind. It's just a matter of getting the shot. I'd have to run and gun all day to get it out of my system before I could sit still. But this spot has me so confident that I'm actually excited about hanging a stand there. The other thing is I am kind of saving the spot for when I take partners who I really want to kill elk. Or ones that can't physically run all over hell's half acre all week long. The spot is pretty easy to get to, not far from the truck, and once you get there it is so spooky with fresh sign everywhere that they will be really excited. I like that from a stand they will see the elk before the elk sees them and so it is a great chance for a very controlled shot.

You know you're getting old when you get more excited about getting others a chance to shoot an elk than about getting yourself one! But that is my main goal for the stand spot I have picked.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby welka » 03 29, 2015 •  [Post 22]

Sounds like we may be hunting together again if this NM experiment doesn't work. Sounds like a stand made for an old pal with a bad wheel! Is that a draw area in WY?
welka

Postby Indian Summer » 03 29, 2015 •  [Post 23]

Answer A: Yep (hell yes!) You know I'd be thrilled to see you kill a bull Greg. :D

Answer B: Nope But you can cut your license cost in half and still guarantee a tag if you buy a point. They are for sale online from July 1 to September 30 for $50.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 29, 2015 •  [Post 24]

swede, thanks for the update, hang in there bud, you'll pull through just fine, best wishes to you!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul