Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Confessions of a tree stand convert

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Confessions of a tree stand convert

Postby ABQ_Chica » 10 20, 2014 •  [Post 1]

This past season, some friends gave me the opportunity to try tree stand hunting elk in an area they've hunted for decades and know like the back of their hand. Stand hunting had never even remotely appealed to me, but I couldn't pass up the chance to learn from life-long hunters. If you're interested in the recap (with just a few pics), I've posted it in parts at the links below:

http://callsofthewild.wordpress.com/201 ... -elk-camp/
http://callsofthewild.wordpress.com/201 ... lmost-5x5/
http://callsofthewild.wordpress.com/201 ... las-vacas/

But in a nutshell:
--I almost had a shot at a little 5x5 (and some turkey and mule deer).
--When another hunter got a cow elk, I finally got a hands-on course in field dressing, skinning, and packing out.
--We saw or heard elk, deer, turkey, or grouse every day. And bulls serenaded us most nights.
--Although I usually prefer to hunt solo, I discovered that elk camp with good friends is heaven on earth.
--I still feel that almost painful tug, as if part of me is still out there in the elk woods, a wisp of spirit that may never leave.

Thanks for the great stories and photos, everyone. Good luck to those of you with upcoming hunts.
ABQ_Chica

Re: Confessions of a tree stand convert

Postby Indian Summer » 10 20, 2014 •  [Post 2]

I read them all Laura. Very well written. But what I read between the lines was even better. It was the feeling that the little monkey up the tree was really enjoying her time in the woods that I enjoyed the most. Not just there to fling arrows but to take it ALL in.

Sounds like you are hunting with a good group of people now. Priceless. It also sounds like you found an area to call home. But when the time comes, hopefully before you retire... I know where there's a couple good trees to scurry up in Wyoming. Ones on major highways and near stinky mud holes where the bugling might get a little annoying but I think you'd get used to it. Thanks for sharing.....
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby ABQ_Chica » 10 21, 2014 •  [Post 3]

Indian Summer wrote:But when the time comes, hopefully before you retire... I know where there's a couple good trees to scurry up in Wyoming. Ones on major highways and near stinky mud holes where the bugling might get a little annoying but I think you'd get used to it. Thanks for sharing.....

Thanks...yes, this little monkey had a fabulous time. Can't wait to get back in the stand, when I'm lucky enough to draw that NM unit again. I'll start looking into Wyoming preference points. What about Montana, any good stand hunting up there?
ABQ_Chica

Postby Indian Summer » 10 21, 2014 •  [Post 4]

Can't really say on a public forum. :lol:

Heck yeah! I got an email from another client last night. Another solo first time elk hunter. Killed a 315 inch 6 point. He was on the ground but in a major saddle where I have a tree picked out. I'll see if I can get him to post his story here. No points needed up there. Are you going to do a world tour? ;)
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby easeup » 10 22, 2014 •  [Post 5]

another lefty!
easeup

Postby rowdycwby1 » 10 22, 2014 •  [Post 6]

Great recap! I enjoy reading the stories as much as spending time in elk camp. Have you thought about getting a climber as well as your hang on to give you more mobility to hunt different places. I started hunting out of tree stands last year hunting whitetails. I like being able to just wonder around and just finding a good area with lots of sign fond a good tree and just climb on up and set.
rowdycwby1

First Name: Matthew
Last Name: Arreola

Postby Lefty » 10 22, 2014 •  [Post 7]

easeup wrote:another lefty!

Always good to share whats happening in elk country

the quote below the title says a lot.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H