Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Treestand or ground blind.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Treestand or ground blind.

Postby goblue » 09 21, 2014 •  [Post 1]

I have had one of my trial cameras up on this watering hole since the first of Aug. Well today we hunted the area and also I needed to remove the camera. I get back to the cabin and I have elk at this watering hole every day since I put it out and most day they come in multiple times. I cpunlnt believe it everyday even during the season. As best as I can tell theres 8 different bulls. Since I'm leaving tomorrow I'm already thinking of next year. So my question is do I place a treestand or a ground blind? If I was to place a tree stand I only like to go up about 12 feet I dont know if that matters. The stand or ground blind would be about 25 yards away from the waterhole. On a side note I also got pictures of a cougar that did come in regular. So treestand or a ground blind?

Jeff
goblue

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Puyallup, Wa

Re: Treestand or ground blind.

Postby Lefty » 09 22, 2014 •  [Post 2]

Wow you have a great opportunity don't blow it
While most guys don't use ground blinds( heck or even tree stands) Use which ever provides you the best opportunities to stay concealed. ( including odor)
Ive hunted out of a box blind and a pop up hub,.. they are effective. I guess I need some pics
Do you have good trees and a canopy?
Or heavy cover to back a blind in? how wind?
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby stringunner » 09 23, 2014 •  [Post 3]

Having used both to harvest both elk and deer, I prefer treestands. I like the opportunity to be above the animal, I feel like I can get away with more. My views of the surrounding area (watching whats coming in) is enhanced from a treestand location as well.

Given you only want to be up 10-12 feet, your scent factor will probably be about the same as if you were in a ground blind. Some may say different but from my experience anything less than about 20ft keeps my scent on the ground in the immediate vicinity.

However, the terrain in and around the waterhole you are planning on sitting will ultimately determine which would be better. But if either will work, I will go with a treestand always over a ground blind. The major pro to a ground blind however, when you get sleepy, you can simply lay down and take a nap! :D
stringunner

Postby dapper » 09 23, 2014 •  [Post 4]

I also would go with the treestand. I got my bull this year from a treestand that was only five feet up the tree on a slope. I only went five feet because the tree was dead and I didn't know if the tree was stable. I had a ground blind in the truck but I didn't know if they need time to adjust to it. Why I went with a treestand versus just being on the ground is because I knew I'd have a flat platform from which to shoot, I'd be much stiller on a small platform than I'd be on the ground. Also my head would be up near the lower branches to help break up my outline. And I'm sure that being mainly a whitetail hunter, I use treestand for the vast majority of my hunting.

Dan
dapper

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Behring

Postby Lefty » 09 24, 2014 •  [Post 5]

Neighbor kid just killed his Idaho white tailed doe from a tree stand 6 inches above the ground/water
Yeah,.... he had me wondering too
Lefty

Postby Lovellj » 10 01, 2014 •  [Post 6]

I have been wondering about this to as I had a very similar experience this season. No elk came in while I was there, hunting from the ground. I've been wondering how much time I wasted vs if I'd have seen more if up in a tree. There were game trails coming in from all directions and you never knew which direction they'd come in from this time, so playing the breeze was tricky. If I was 20' up in a tree I think it would have improved the hunting........but then the naps were sure good in my Waldrop pac seat.
Lovellj

First Name: John
Last Name: Lovell

Postby Lefty » 10 01, 2014 •  [Post 7]

Last hunt I spent about 8 hours in a ground blind during the pouring rains,.. beat sitting in a truck or back at camp in my tent or what some guys did, go home
Lefty