Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Treestand shots

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Treestand shots

Postby Drawnandpinned » 08 19, 2014 •  [Post 1]

Does anyone else not have to hold high on a 20-30 yard shot my bow puts em right where I want and I have seen other bow hunters do the same practicing
Drawnandpinned

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: Duersch

Re: Treestand shots

Postby Swede » 08 19, 2014 •  [Post 2]

My front sight has 5 pins. I know the horizontal distances to several (5-6) points around my stand. I put the appropriate pin on the point I want to hit. If I have any question I have my rangefinder very handy. I normally have had no problems hitting what I want to. I did hit a limb I did not see, last September.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 20, 2014 •  [Post 3]

Regardless if in a tree or hunting the ground look through the animal during shot time,this will help you to see it's path into the vitals this is as important as where the arrow is aimed at for entrance impact.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby ishy » 08 20, 2014 •  [Post 4]

Both replies touched on aspects of treestand shots horizontal angle and seeing through the animal. I'm not sure exactly what your question is i would imagine it's horizontal distance which is a non issue with most newer rangefinders with angle compensation.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Swede » 08 20, 2014 •  [Post 5]

Elknut made a good point about looking through the animal to visualize the path the arrow will travel. One year I shot down, at a severe angle at an elk. It was a long time ago and I had not thought about that before. Well I had held to the outside of the animal too far. The arrow came down and sliced the hide, traveled on the outside of a rib, but never penetrated into the chest cavity. I knew it was just a superficial wound, but I tracked it for over a mile. There was a blood trail that got spottier and spottier until it just quit bleeding. Lesson learned.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Peskadot » 08 20, 2014 •  [Post 6]

A lot of bows today have enough speed that compensation for angles at 10, 20 & even 30 yds is not much of a big deal. The trajectory is still flat out to those distances with fast shooting bows.
Peskadot

First Name: Ken

Postby Lefty » 08 20, 2014 •  [Post 7]

Gotta gotta gotta know animal anatomy from every direction; mentally visualization of lungs and heart top of the heart
I grew up rifle hunting, It was hammered into me to shoot the broad side crease,
The heart and lungs can be hit from a lot of directions with a well placed bullet
The consideration of bone is always a must on archery
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Seminole » 08 20, 2014 •  [Post 8]

I agree Elknut.
Seminole

First Name: Noah
Last Name: McKinnon

Postby ST52V » 08 21, 2014 •  [Post 9]

Just remember to draw, anchor and then bend at the waist until you are on your target. If you point to bow down at your target and then draw you will probably shoot high due to changing string angel and anchor point.
ST52V

First Name: Robin
Last Name: Wise

Postby dtrkyman » 08 21, 2014 •  [Post 10]

Gravity has less of an effect on up and downhill shots than shooting over flat ground, impact will be higher on angled shots..That is the exact reason angle compensating range finders exist, tree stand hunting you can simply range another tree at eye level, hunting in the mountains is not that simple, severe angles up or down can have pretty serious effects on impact.

Steep angles can create a situation where line of sight distance may be 30 yards but you need to shoot for 25 or even less depending on angle! I killed a 67 yard line of sight gobbler with my 40 yard pin in the mountains in New Zealand! Pretty much straight down a cliff!
dtrkyman

First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Marzano