Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Calling ELK from a tree stand

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Calling ELK from a tree stand

Postby welka » 06 29, 2014 •  [Post 1]

A bad wheel (not repairable) has forced me to adapt to keep hunting elk. I will have to "go to the trees" and hunt out of tree stands or ground blinds over wallows or waterholes. I have hunted wallows before and stuck to the advice in Paul's Playbook (i.e. minimal calling, mainly a few cow calls or spike squeals, and never bugle back to a bugle that you think is coming to the wallow). So, for those who have been successful and have hunted frequently from tree stands/ground blinds FOR ELK, I would appreciate some ideas on the following:
1) What calls do you use if "cold calling"?
2) Do you call back if you hear a bugle? (I think the answer to this is likely NO as they are hopefully coming to your spot for water and hence no reason to take a chance to mess it up)

Thanks for the advice.
welka

Re: Calling ELK from a tree stand

Postby Indian Summer » 06 29, 2014 •  [Post 2]

Greg you really need to get a copy of Swede's book on tree stand hunting elk. It's definitely worth reading. Experience is the best teacher and he has been at it for years.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby elkmtngear » 06 29, 2014 •  [Post 3]

welka wrote:A bad wheel (not repairable) has forced me to adapt to keep hunting elk. I will have to "go to the trees" and hunt out of tree stands or ground blinds over wallows or waterholes. I have hunted wallows before and stuck to the advice in Paul's Playbook (i.e. minimal calling, mainly a few cow calls or spike squeals, and never bugle back to a bugle that you think is coming to the wallow). So, for those who have been successful and have hunted frequently from tree stands/ground blinds FOR ELK, I would appreciate some ideas on the following:
1) What calls do you use if "cold calling"?
2) Do you call back if you hear a bugle? (I think the answer to this is likely NO as they are hopefully coming to your spot for water and hence no reason to take a chance to mess it up)

Thanks for the advice.

From a treestand:

1) minimal cow calling every 10 to 15 minutes
2) If the bull continually bugles, as if he is trying to get you to come to him...give a spike squeal (I have killed two bulls by doing this, and they come in hot and angry)!
If he bugles intermittently and/ or you hear raking...just wait it out. All the above has worked for me well in the past.
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Swede » 06 30, 2014 •  [Post 4]

I have found there are few absolutes with calling from a stand. I have both brought in elk, and I have turned them away by calling. For me the one absolute is not to respond to a bugle. I have heard bulls bugle off in the timber. I believe they are testing to see if elk are around the water hole. When I called back the bull never showed up. I believe he went to some other spring. Just be patient when you hear a call. Sometimes it takes an hour or more, but stay quiet and be patient.
Cold calling (bugling or cow calling) seems to work better in some areas and times than others. Personally I stay quiet. It seems to work better where I hunt. If in doubt I would advise against all calling from a stand. If you have a good location, where elk routinely show up, all calling does is tell every elk within hearing distance elk (you) are there. Some elk will come and some won't. Some elk have been run off and don't want a confrontation, so they go somewhere else. Just as food for thought, would you expect a herd bull to bring in his cows, if he just heard you bugle from the water hole 300-400 yards away?
Elknut1 gave me a tip years ago and it worked great once for me. I wish it worked as well every season as it did the first year I tried it, but I think it is still a good tool. When you first arrive at a wallow/water hole take a large limb and rake a tree nearby for a minute or two. Then splash the water with the limb sever times. Wait a few seconds between each splash. When you are finished splashing give out a location bugle then stomp off for always. Now quietly slip over to climb into your stand then wait. Just stay quiet for the remainder of that hunt. My son and I each took nice 5X5s one evening after I did that. I don't think I have had better success lately only because not many or any elk are within hearing distance.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 01, 2014 •  [Post 5]

Treestand or ground blind hunting are generally done at "destination spots" such as feeding, bedding, natural mineral licks, water holes, breeding areas, active trails to & from any of these places, etc. Calling from any of these areas are very doable, of course there are times not to call as well. The reason hunters call from these areas is to entice elk to come their way now or today! It's very possible a hunter could sit a blind or stand for days or weeks with little to no action, of course the opposite could be true & elk show up the 1st day too, it's a crap shoot at best. Calling can help up ones odds & produce action that may have not otherwise happened without it. I've sat stands & have done both, I have more elk come my way once calling was added to the present situation than sitting quietly & allowing elk to show on their own time schedule, that is if they had one! (grin) Calling can bring elk your way that are within earshot that may have no intention in doing so if they had not heard other elk already there. I'm sure we all have our reasons why we would or would not call but all thoughts should be entertained!

If a trail camera had been set up at a spot I'd planned on hunting & a pattern has shown when elk come habitually then I'd stay quiet awaiting the time they showed up naturally especially hunting a wise older bull. But when only 5 days or so to hunt & I'm hunting exclusively from a stand with no idea when elk really come by or how often then I'm going to up my odds & do some calling for sure in hopes of producing positive results. This has worked excellent in the past for me, why? Because it's all about location, location, location! Pick the spots that show active use & fresh sign! When I call from a stand I generally will stay with soft cow calling with one loud mew a bit longer than the soft short ones then stop calling, I'm just planting the seed at that time, I will do it again every 10 minutes or so for 1/2 an hour as I listen & watch intently for the silent ones slipping in, you must keep your guard up once you've used elk sounds! I've had elk come running in to ones coming in extremely silent like a ghost. I've never used a decoy at these times as I didn't see the need. I've also incorporated the splashing technique & at times it works & at other times nothing! Elk must be around when you go through any ritual or it's all for not, that's elk hunting though, there's no guarantees!

If an hour or two goes by & no appearances I will then escalate the sounds I've been using to reach much further out, I will use an advertising bugle as well at times trying to coax a response or showing at my site. I've had luck with this as much as no luck with it but you must try different things on different days. Some days produce & some do not, don't give up though!

I have also brought elk to the stand site when hearing bulls bugling nearby, meaning within a few 100yds. I've cow called several times with annoyance to the tones & then raked the tree I was in, no need to get out & stand on the ground! This has produced very good results to nearby bugling bulls. Like I say there are many things & options to consider while stand hunting, consider creative ways to stir up the action, it doesn't matter if elk are quiet or rutting, get in the game & make things happen when needed!

As far as not bugling back to a bull that bugles his way towards you this true, but it's not written in stone! There are times when I've bugled bulls right to me once I realized they were not coming my way. I did this with aggressive advertising type bugles letting these other bulls know I was a contender for the cows in the area too, this has enticed appearances on their behalf. Hunt smart & you can get the elk on the defense with the right sounds at the right time!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 07 01, 2014 •  [Post 6]

ElkNut1 wrote:Treestand or ground blind hunting are generally done at "destination spots"

Seriously, you need to question your destination spot if you need to call them in to that point. Find locations that have several attributes that make this small spot a true destination. If you pick a spot with just water and there is more water in the area, your destination is just another water hole. Calling may tip the odds a little in your favor as you wait there. On the other hand if your water hole is the only one within 1/4 to 1/2 mile, it has 5-6 active trails coming to it, it is near a good bedding area, there is a good wallow there and it is in a commonly used passage, calling is counter productive. I have some such spots like the one I show with an old ladder leaned against a pine tree. These spots are not everywhere. That is why you scout for them and why they are so valuable.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics