Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Tree stand locations

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Tree stand locations

Postby Deafirishman » 03 29, 2014 •  [Post 1]

I am looking at the possibility of hunting out of a tree stand this season to improve my chances of putting one on the ground. The only downfall is I can't scout for areas to hang a stand before the season starts due to the hunting ground being over 22 hours away. Any specific locations or tactics you guys would use in determining where to hang a stand ??

Thanks guys for your input. It's greatly appreciated.
Deafirishman

First Name: Aaron

Re: Tree stand locations

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 29, 2014 •  [Post 2]

Aaron, what time of year are you gonna be hunting and which state?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 03 29, 2014 •  [Post 3]

Aaron: when you boil tree stand hunting down to the simplest level, the answer is to hang your stand where an elk will show up. That determination is best based on solid evidence. I like water holes in warmer drier country in the late Summer and early fall, that show lots of sign of elk use. Look for rubs, tracks, feces and muddy water concentrated in a specific area. I like isolated water holes near elk bedding areas. If a place stinks from elk use, I get excited.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 29, 2014 •  [Post 4]

Swede, great advice!

Aaron, make sure when a treetand or ground blind locations are chosen that your hunting party does not hunt anywhere near it & disrupt the elks routine in the area, this could make your treestand location useless. Good luck bud!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Indian Summer » 03 29, 2014 •  [Post 5]

Everywhere I hunt water is everywhere. I dream of hunting places where water is limited but not the case for me. So the best location is bottlenecks. Anything that funnels travel. The nice thing is generally speaking you can find some spots that fit the bill just by looking at maps. Saddles especially if both sides of it are steep. Try the highest saddle and work down. Anywhere where there is a cliff or serious rockslide there will be traffic at the top edge and somewhere right near the bottom. Sometimes they find one path crossing those steep places up high. Any really steep sided draws will have stepped game trails skirting through the path of least resistance. Also thin strips of cover connecting larger patches of cover. Just think funnels.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Deafirishman » 03 30, 2014 •  [Post 6]

Very good information guys. Much appreciated and most certainly look at these types of areas. I will be definitely be studying GE and the Topo Maps I have for some possible stand locations prior to going out.

RJ - the plan is to head to Idaho around the second week in September.
Deafirishman

First Name: Aaron

Postby ishy » 03 30, 2014 •  [Post 7]

We spend a lot time walking around bowls that you have marked on your maps. Start looking heavy were a creek starts on your map and go up from there paying close attention to animal trails. Good ground to cover mid day when nothing else is going on.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby ferris bugler » 03 31, 2014 •  [Post 8]

ElkNut1 wrote:Swede, great advice!

Aaron, make sure when a treetand or ground blind locations are chosen that your hunting party does not hunt anywhere near it & disrupt the elks routine in the area, this could make your treestand location useless. Good luck bud!

ElkNut1

Or place it where there is a lot of traffic. I have a couple ridge saddles where elk are constantly moving through on their own and because of hunter pressure. It's a choke and they are forced through there. I like that spot and mineral licks.
ferris bugler

First Name: rewk
Last Name: patten