Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What Gives Tree Stand Hunting A Bad Rap?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What Gives Tree Stand Hunting A Bad Rap?

Postby Swede » 02 24, 2014 •  [Post 1]

I was going to wait for Elknut to start this, but apparently he is busy, so I will lead off. This thread pertains only to hunting elk. To be clear let us know from the perspective of a tree stand hunter what you believe, and from the perspective of a non tree stand hunter what you believe. I will get back to this and add my thoughts a little later. Having tree stand hunted for well over 20 years I have seen, and heard a plenty, I assure you.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: What Gives Tree Stand Hunting A Bad Rap?

Postby Mikeha33 » 02 24, 2014 •  [Post 2]

Here's one of my hesitations, not even an opinion really, but a thought, perhaps.

As an out of stater, with only a week to hunt, I can't scout, pattern, and track elk well enough to be stationary for long periods of time, especially in the evening, when elk are on the move. The country is so vast, with elk willing to tackle almost any terrain for a travel route, how can I feel better about sitting in one spot and not seeing anything rather than mobile and at least watching elk, even if it is 600 yds away? I'm not knocking treestanders, and I plan on trying it this fall, if I find a spot that I think is an "X", but if I don't have any luck, than I'll probably kick myself for not getting after them on foot, and at least trying to find them.
Mikeha33

First Name: Michael
Last Name: Halsey

Postby Elkduds » 02 24, 2014 •  [Post 3]

I have never hunted elk from a treestand, but have seen old wooden ones that let me know I was in good spots. I have no bias against stand hunting, think it would be ideal @ certain times/circumstances. If I try it, do I have to pee in a bottle?
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby BrentLaBere » 02 24, 2014 •  [Post 4]

Because being patient, a skill set aside by itself, doesn't mean you will be successful. One of the more important and most difficult tools one can use for hunting but yet be the hardest to swallow after so many days of being unsuccessful. This isn't a tool you practice on the weekends. Its one you need to acquire over time in the field. Am I ready to use this tool on my hunt in September? I am not sold just yet. "I sat there for 10 days and didn't get an opportunity!!!".......
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby MtnHunter » 02 24, 2014 •  [Post 5]

I think a lot of Elk hunters think it's a bit lazy or easy to sit in a stand all day while others are out running around the mountains (no offense). I've never done it, but the thought of hauling a tree stand in to where I want to be sounds extremely difficult! I would want 3 or 4 stands set up in certain areas, which would require multiple weekends of enormously strenuous work. Then, after the season, I'd have to go get them. Not sure I have it in me. Definitely doesn't seem easy or lazy. Though, I would really like 3 or 4 set up to add to my bag of tactics this year!
MtnHunter

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 24, 2014 •  [Post 6]

Elkduds wrote: If I try it, do I have to pee in a bottle?

Nope, just do what Swede does. I'll let him explain. I will tell you that it involves a poor, unsuspecting black bear :D I wouldn't be walking under his stand.

I'll report back on what gives tree stand hunting a bad name after I try it out this fall for the first time. I'm sure I'll be "that guy" that makes all the rookie mistakes :cry: .
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 02 24, 2014 •  [Post 7]

Seems like the thought of a treestand for elk isnt traditional enough.
My point of view is it is a subject most know little to nothing about and are afraid of the unknown.

My wife and her dad were big into mulies, drive and glass, walk and glass, close the distance and shoot.
My wife freaked out that I was building a tree stand and hunted 30 feet in the air for mule deer. I think the same applies to elk
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 24, 2014 •  [Post 8]

Climb up in a tree, elk walks by, shoot elk!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby msd1228 » 02 24, 2014 •  [Post 9]

The only negative thing I have to say about it is that its boring as all get out when nothing is going on. The only thing I'll hunt from a stand is bear, other than that I need to be on the ground and covering miles. Treestanding is certainly a very good tactic though!
msd1228

First Name: Shane

Postby Sneaky » 02 24, 2014 •  [Post 10]

I just don't have any interest in it. I like to be on the move. Even when I hunt whitetails from a stand, I usually don't last long. I tend to get out and move around. Give me millions of acres of land to cover, and you won't catch me in one spot for long.
Sneaky

First Name: Jared
Last Name: Klein

Postby cohunter14 » 02 24, 2014 •  [Post 11]

While I have 'stand' hunted for elk, it wasn't in a tree stand, but a ground one. And I have never hunted archery, only rifle. My thoughts on it are that it is very difficult to do with elk. You need to know an area and the elk patterns VERY well. It is very different from stand hunting whitetails because elk travel in herds (for the most part). So if you sit on a well used trail whitetail hunting, you have a good chance of a deer randomly coming by to use the trail. But if you are using it for elk hunting, you could need an entire herd to be there for them to come by. With all that aside, I do still enjoy stand hunting and one particular stand of mine has worked very well in the past. I have the elk patterned well enough to where I can tell you within 15-30 minutes of when they will be there if they are going to be by that day. The nice thing about that is if they aren't there, I don't have to sit and wait the rest of the day :lol:
cohunter14

First Name: Derek

Postby easeup » 02 24, 2014 •  [Post 12]

there are lots of good replies already
this one fits me too as a NR guy.

Mikeha33 wrote:Here's one of my hesitations, not even an opinion really, but a thought, perhaps.

As an out of stater, with only a week to hunt, I can't scout, pattern, and track elk well enough to be stationary for long periods of time, especially in the evening, when elk are on the move. The country is so vast, with elk willing to tackle almost any terrain for a travel route, how can I feel better about sitting in one spot and not seeing anything rather than mobile and at least watching elk, even if it is 600 yds away? I'm not knocking treestanders, and I plan on trying it this fall, if I find a spot that I think is an "X", but if I don't have any luck, than I'll probably kick myself for not getting after them on foot, and at least trying to find them.

how about scared of heights? I climbed up in one I found once; must of been 20 ft up an aspen after 15 minutes that thing was swaying in the wind so bad I was 3/4 dizzy!!
easeup

Postby JJ Overkill » 02 24, 2014 •  [Post 13]

ive hunted A LOT out of a stand while hunting whitetails in MN. the one thing that sticks in my head, unlike the woods of the Midwest elk country is more open and you don't need to be high in a tree to get a birds eye view, just climb a ridge and glass. unlike whitetails elk are more vocal making it easier to locate them and putting a stock on them or call them in to you.

that along with my A.D.D. kicking in and my vision of elk frolicking in the next draw over I can only sit for about 1hr tops.

a stand has a place in my tool box. I know of a few trails I want to place a stand and sit and weight. ill just have to bring a good book with me :D
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Postby Swede » 02 24, 2014 •  [Post 14]

It sure seems that boredom and lack of patience when elk hunting is a big reason some don't tree stand hunt. I have to admit that it seems odd to me that a person could wait for a Whitetail, but lack the patience to wait for an elk. I suppose it is a matter of expectation.
Let me clear up one claim that I read above. Most of the time the elk that come in to my tree stand are alone. Less than half the time do they come in where I have several to choose from, especially early in the season.

Some of the things I have seen that give tree stand hunting besides what has been mentioned include.
From a non tree stand hunters perspective:
1. There is a claim that tree stand hunters damage trees. That is true in some cases, especially when permanent stands are spiked to the trees.
2. Tree stand hunters are too possessive of their tree stand locations. I have heard of violent confrontations over a tree stand location. Every tree stand hunter, on public land, needs to realize they don't have any more claim over the water hole than anyone else. Work out a solution or walk away. This bad rap also comes from tree stand hunters.
3. Non tree stand hunters claim that tree stand hunters block access to the water the elk need to survive on. The point they make is that it is not fair chase. All I have to say to that is "baloney". I have never sat all night at a water hole, and I only sit at one at a time.

Tree Stand Hunters find:
1. They can get too hot or too cold waiting and watching.
2. They have to get their equipment in and out of the woods. Sometimes that takes an extra trip in and out.
3. I should have been over there instead.
4. Day can be long. Yes boredom again.
5. Safety, safety, safety. It only takes one mishap.
Swede

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 02 24, 2014 •  [Post 15]

Have you ever fallen asleep in your tree stand Swede? :D
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Swede » 02 24, 2014 •  [Post 16]

No, but I have snoozed a little. I was sitting still enough in my stand one day last September, that a whole herd of buzzards circled and started landing in some nearby snags. I know they thought I was dead. I sat quietly wondering how long they wound continue to move in. Finally, I moved just a bit and they flew.
Swede

Postby jmez » 02 24, 2014 •  [Post 17]

I think if you have the elk patterned in an area hunting from a treestand would be the best way to hunt them. I would have no problem hanging a stand and sitting if I knew where they were traveling.

I'm an out of state hunter and I don't have the animals patterned enough. We do take stands along every year and I wouldn't hesitate to put one up and sit in it if I found the correct spot.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 02 24, 2014 •  [Post 18]

Swede wrote:No, but I have snoozed a little. I was sitting still enough in my stand one day last September, that a whole herd of buzzards circled and started landing in some nearby snags. I know they thought I was dead. I sat quietly wondering how long they wound continue to move in. Finally, I moved just a bit and they flew.

ROFLOL......now that's about the funniest damn thing I've ever heard! I think I remember you mentioning something like that a while ago. You know your time is getting close when the buzzards start circling! :lol:
JohnFitzgerald

Postby JJ Overkill » 02 24, 2014 •  [Post 19]

Swede wrote:It sure seems that boredom and lack of patience when elk hunting is a big reason some don't tree stand hunt. I have to admit that it seems odd to me that a person could wait for a Whitetail, but lack the patience to wait for an elk..

I had to force myself to sit in a stand back there too. I find it a lot harder to stock whitetails compared to elk, especially when I can get them to come to me. I could be wrong but I think I would see less elk compared to seeing 15 to 20 deer a day. which keeps my interest up.
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 24, 2014 •  [Post 20]

JohnFitzgerald wrote:
Swede wrote:No, but I have snoozed a little. I was sitting still enough in my stand one day last September, that a whole herd of buzzards circled and started landing in some nearby snags. I know they thought I was dead. I sat quietly wondering how long they wound continue to move in. Finally, I moved just a bit and they flew.

ROFLOL......now that's about the funniest damn thing I've ever heard! I think I remember you mentioning something like that a while ago. You know your time is getting close when the buzzards start circling! :lol:

John, buddy, those Oregon buzzards are looking for spare 'cookies'! That's how swede passes the time while waiting for Bullwinkle ;)
WapitiTalk1

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 02 24, 2014 •  [Post 21]

Fresh Swede meat or sugar cookies? If you were a buzzard which would you choose?
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Swede » 02 24, 2014 •  [Post 22]

JJ Overkill: You are right about the number of elk I see on a daily basis. I probably average a couple of elk per week now where I hunt. Some I don't want to shoot, so I wait for another.

You guys don't think those buzzards were really after my cookies do you?
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 24, 2014 •  [Post 23]

JohnFitzgerald wrote:Fresh Swede meat or sugar cookies? If you were a buzzard which would you choose?

Yak. Flagged for inappropriate content. :( Cookies for sure.
WapitiTalk1

Postby husky390 » 02 24, 2014 •  [Post 24]

Lugging a treestand into the woods does not sound like fun to me. I even have a friend willing to give me one but I have no room for it and I don't see myself using it anytime soon. I should get it, for everyone I've talked to that has used them have said they've seen more animals sitting in a stand than hiking around. But, with my ADD, I'm lucky to sit one ravine for half an hour before I start convincing myself that the elk are on the backside of the next ridge that I can't see. Before I know it, I'm on that ridge looking back at the ridge I was just on that is now covered with elk.
husky390
Wapiti Hunting - Logistics Consultant

First Name: Dave
Last Name: B

Postby Trophyhill » 02 25, 2014 •  [Post 25]

I've never heard of stand hunting getting a bad rap. Just another method to hunt. If there is one thing that sticks out to me it would be limitations. There are times when aggressive actions are called for and if you're stuck in a tree you are relegated to being a passive hunter.
Trophyhill

First Name: David

Postby timberland » 02 25, 2014 •  [Post 26]

When I'm Whitetail hunting I KNOW there is a shooter buck in the same woods, most likely within 1/4 mile. Elk country is so big and animal density is a lot less, it seems the odds are astronomical that I would get one in range being immobile.
timberland

First Name: Barry

Postby otcWill » 02 25, 2014 •  [Post 27]

If I sat in a tree all day for a couple weeks I'm sure I'd shoot a good bull but I wouldn't have gotten what I came for. I want the adventure of creeping through the woods with an arrow nocked in a place where I know there are elk. I need the challenge and the pain involved in getting where nobody else can or will go. I couldn't give up the opp of having a big bull come charging in to spitting distance to thrash a tree. I've always imagined that the actual act of making the shot would be exponentially easier on an elk without that heart-pounding excitement of being face to face. I'm sure I'll give it a go when I get older and less mobile but for now, I'm hopelessly addicted to hunting the toughest stuff I can find ;)
otcWill

Postby Toby » 02 25, 2014 •  [Post 28]

Although I almost always run and gun, because I enjoy the excitement of it, I would do some stand hunting once in a while to give the body a rest. My issue is, I am a NR and time in the elk hunting grounds is limited.

I do believe you need to be a very good sign reader and Hunter to be successful as a stand Hunter, and respect those who are successful at it.
Toby

Postby Swede » 02 25, 2014 •  [Post 29]

Toby: Considering what you were saying about how tree stand hunting could be productive if you found the right place, I would just take a stand along with you to base camp. If you find a great looking spot to hang the stand, then go and get it. Otherwise continue doing what your were . Most likely you will recognize a great tree stand location when you see one. Just don't get fooled because a spot was recently wallowed. Nothing may return for the remainder of your hunt. Set you stand up where it appears that the location is getting recurring use. You will be able to sort that out when you find this spot.
Swede

Postby stringunner » 02 25, 2014 •  [Post 30]

This is an interesting topic I have been thinking about lately. I think as many on here have stated, it comes down to a preferred style/method of hunting elk and for many the "running/gunning" method seems to be the most appealing for a variety of reasons. No doubt there is a ton of excitement when bulls are bugling and you as the hunter are on the ground level taking part in that excitement. However, I can say with all honesty that I was just as excited (and proud of the accomplishment) when I shot the bull I did this past year from the stand as I was shooting my two previous bulls which were called in. I literally had to sit down and grip the stand/tree to keep myself from falling out as my knees were knocking. But then again that bull was directly under me (25-30 feet) for close to 5 minutes before I finally got my shot (I actually pulled back and let down more than once while waiting for a good shot), when I say directly under me, I mean it...I had to lean out to get my arrow to clear the grate on my stand to shoot the bull.

I also think for a NR, tree stand hunting could be a major challenge. As I have said before, I couldn't sit the amount of hours I do without having 100% confidence in my stand location. That confidence comes from spending all summer in my hunting grounds finding spots, tracking elk movements and through many pictures of elk at these specific locations. As a non-resident it would be difficult for me to have that type of confidence.

What compels me the most however about this topic of tree standing hunting getting a bad rap is the idea that stands hunters 1) don't work as hard as the run and gun type or that 2) sitting on water for elk is like sitting over a food plot for white tail. I'm not saying this to throw open a debate about "baiting" or unfair advantage, that was done not too long ago on another forum and I am at peace with my perspective about it, but therein lies the rub I think when guys start downplaying stand hunting for elk. No way am I implying that those on this forum think any less of stand hunting for elk, as many have said already in this post, stand hunting elk is a viable option and one which warrants a place in the elk hunting tactic book but I have come across a few folks that really talk down the idea for the two aforementioned reasons. Just my thoughts.
stringunner

Postby Mikeha33 » 02 25, 2014 •  [Post 31]

Basically, from the responses on this thread as of now, I'm not sure treestand hunting gets a bad rap, at least not nearly as much as that common elk call that rhymes with schmugle.
Mikeha33

First Name: Michael
Last Name: Halsey

Postby Buglemaster » 02 25, 2014 •  [Post 32]

The only problem I have with tree stand guys is when they hang a stand & then expect everybody to honor their "lease" on that given spot. If I get there & somebody is in their stand, I'll quietly slip away & let them have it. But, if nobody is occupying that stand, I'm hunting that spot. I've been tempted to climb up & use a few, but never have. Actually, I've only sat in a tree stand a few times & completly enjoyed every time. Never hunting elk from one, but planning on doing it this fall. I would love to spend some time with Swede & get some first hand teaching on the finer points of treestanding. Guess I need to order your book Sir as we probably won't ever cross paths. Unless......we put one of these elknut hunts together sometime. The way some of you guys go at each other is priceless & setting around the fire with all you hoodlums would be a great time I'm sure!
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 25, 2014 •  [Post 33]

Mikeha33 wrote:Basically, from the responses on this thread as of now, I'm not sure treestand hunting gets a bad rap, at least not nearly as much as that common elk call that rhymes with schmugle.

:lol: you may be right.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 02 25, 2014 •  [Post 34]

Did anyone consider this matter from a bear's perspective? Huh? :D
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 25, 2014 •  [Post 35]

Swede wrote:Did anyone consider this matter from a bear's perspective? Huh? :D

Mentioned this earlier in the thread. The Oregon Bears for Decency Coalition has launched a class action suit against the likes of you mister. It is aledged that certain tree stand hunters have been utilizing alternative methods besides the acceptable pee bottle method to 'relieve themselves' from 20+ feet up. Do you have any comment for the press sir? Love that part in the book every time I read it :D
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 02 25, 2014 •  [Post 36]

I think the TMA (treestand manufacturers association) owes me. I have heard several people say they were going out gunning for a bear after reading that account. I don't think they were tree stand hunters before. Chuck Adams has his claim to fame. So does Jim Shockey and Fred Eichler. Welllll, Swede does too. :D
Swede

Postby jswbga » 02 26, 2014 •  [Post 37]

well, I've never tree stand hunted for elk yet, though that is my primary means of hunting whitetails.

like many have said above....:

1. the country is so big, and so beautiful, I want to see a bunch of it
2. I take tons of pictures while elk hunting. if I did that from a tree stand.... it'd all be the same picture over and over again :(
3. seeing the country is a lot of what I love about elk hunting. for all purposes.... I'm just on an armed nature hike.

That said, I just ordered Swedes book this week, so who knows?

I'm also confident that if I did sit for a solid week in a good spot, it'd probably fill the freezer alot faster than my armed nature hikes.
jswbga

First Name: Shane
Last Name: White

Postby Toby » 02 26, 2014 •  [Post 38]

Thanks Swede, good advice. I will be looking for such spots this year. I am not likely to take a tree stand with me, so will start a new thread on "tree stand hunting on the ground".
Toby