Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Questions for Swede(and all stand hunters)

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Questions for Swede(and all stand hunters)

Postby timberland » 02 16, 2014 •  [Post 1]

I've never stand hunted for elk but spend about 30-40 days in the deer woods but only sitting a few hours at a time. I have sat in an antelope blind for 10-12 hours a day for a few days but there was a long ways to see and animals were In view constantly. How in the world do you muster the patience to put the amount of time in the elk stand you do and see elk ony occasionally and listening to other hunters around you? What's some of the tactics you use to keep yourself in the stand? How do you not get frustrated when there's some elk in the next drainage but you haven't seen anything for three days? Thanks for all the great posts. Hats off to you.
timberland

First Name: Barry
Last Name: B

Re: Questions for Swede(and all stand hunters)

Postby Swede » 02 16, 2014 •  [Post 2]

Confidence. I have faith that my tree stand will produce. I know I could never wait for days if I doubted my stand placement. Other things I do a little, that helps is read and this year I played a little Sudoku. Just don't get too distracted. I enjoy the hunt, and hate to give up.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby cnelk » 02 16, 2014 •  [Post 3]

Try sitting in a stand for a short time, jsut to get the 'feel'.
Then extend your time.
Some places you can get a cell phone signal, always nice to check in with friends/family via a text.
Like I mentioned in another post, I only sit 3-4 hrs in the afternoon until dark.

Try tree stand hunting in a way that works for you, not anyone else
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby stringunner » 02 17, 2014 •  [Post 4]

For me, I tend to not have the patience my dad has when it comes to sitting 12-13 hours a day. I generally carry a book or download books on my iphone so I can keep my mind occupied through the "slow hours" of the day. As Swede mentioned, confidence in your stand location is the #1 most important aspect of stand hunting for me. I gain this confidence by using game cameras and having multiple stand locations.

My dad this past year was sitting in a stand and had been for several days the last week of the season. On two occasions I went to pick him up at the end of the evening hunt, both of those times as I was walking in I could hear bulls bugling, one of these nights there were 3 different bulls sounding off. I really couldn't comprehend why my dad was still in his stand and not out trying to call these bulls in. It was in the last 4 days of the season so its not like he had much to loose at this point. The weather was also very cool and rainy so in my mind sitting in the stand waiting for them to come to wallow or grab a drink was less likely IMO. But nonetheless he kept sitting the stand figuring his chance at catching them at the water (as we had been getting pictures on a near everyday basis) was just as good as being out there trying to call them. His confidence in his stand location was key to him staying put.
stringunner

Postby Swede » 02 17, 2014 •  [Post 5]

Stringunner: Last season was very unusual due to the continuous rain. Normally the late season is really good for tree stand hunting when the elk are moving around and bugling. The elk are not coming to water as much, but they are feeding in the evening and just moving some throughout the day. I do not know where your dad sat in his stand, but where you got your bull early would not be very good late season. Find a good trail in a saddle or other passage for the latter part of the season. Just a thought.
Swede

Postby elkmtngear » 02 17, 2014 •  [Post 6]

Back when I did a lot of tree stand hunting, I preferred to spot and stalk/ bugle hunt in the mornings, and stand hunt the evening hours. Most often, those hunts would be in two different areas, so the elk were "undisturbed" where we had the stands.
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby stringunner » 02 17, 2014 •  [Post 7]

Great idea Swede. I hadn't given much thought to transition zones or trails as we were focusing on water holes. I will add this thought to the list I am currently working on for locations this year.

Dad was NOT sitting at Green Spring nor Shed during these last few days of the season. But rather at the 3rd spot you found us at this year. :-) The one you can drive your vehicle right up to. And very near where they were logging during the beginning part of the season.
stringunner

Postby Swede » 02 17, 2014 •  [Post 8]

Stringunner: That is where I would have guessed. There are some springs in the little draw about 150 yards below where he was sitting. They would be worth checking out. Is that where he heard the bugles come from? Also elk go down the ridge to the south above the clear cut that s above where he sat. That area to the south may have a good stand location for late season. Instead of going out the road where your dad waited in his stand, take the road to the left before you get there. Reward your dad's patience with an M100 tree stand. You will get the son of the year award, and he will be so delighted he will buy a couple more himself and you will be able to borrow one. :D .
Swede

Postby ishy » 02 17, 2014 •  [Post 9]

So i was in a similar boat, and it was trail camera pics that got me to sit. I do the bear thing, but usually only 4-5 hours max. Reading helps, but also has a tendency to put me to sleep. I did have bear rip my seat out while I was gone, so that helps keep you awake. I think I put in 6 or 7 all day sits. It was pretty painful only because I never saw an elk. Rethinking for next year...going to read swedes book and try to figure out what I can change.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Swede » 02 17, 2014 •  [Post 10]

Ishy: I think the book should help, but just ask anytime you have any questions. Even if you come up with something that stumps me, someone here will help, and the discussion will benefit a lot more than just you and me.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 02 17, 2014 •  [Post 11]

To answer the question... these days if there is a cell signal no question I'll be checking around to see who is seeing what where from Montana to Colorado. It's interesting to know that there is action going on somewhere on any given day. But other than that it is the confidence. I can get close to elk on the ground and when I convince them to come to me it's awesome. But getting close and getting a shot are two different things and when an elk is in range of a tree stand he's in deep trouble. You can cut lanes to give you shots through any screen they might walk behind. You know your distance. You're not out of breath. You usually see them before they have a chance to see you and so you're prepared.

You know that it's all or nothing: They might not come your way tonight but when they do you can punch your tag more often than not. That's what keeps me in deer stands and bear stands all day. Knowing I'm at the right place and just waiting to see when the right time is going to roll around. I had a guy sit in an adjacent stand for bears two years ago. A friends dad. He was the kind to always preach about what it takes to get things done. Loves to say "Gotta work hard" he'd say over and over... you need to buckle down and put as much time as you can in that stand" So we went up a tree in the dark... and came down in the dark. He told me I was insane and that he had never done that before. :lol: I said ok I'll take it easy on you tomorrow.

When I'm bowhunting elk, I always know of 2 or 3 places where I say "if a guy sat there all week I guaranteed he'd kill one!" Then I walk away to go sightseeing while I try to kill one. ha ha But I do hang a stand or two in bow season. It's a great way to take a brake. When you're finally man or woman enough to admit you've just run yourself into the dirt.... instead of sitting in camp go recuperate up a tree. No question that Swede's book boosted my motivation to stand hunt for elk more often. The only way I hunt whitetails, even in gun season, is from tree stands. They are deadly! That's what you sit and think while you're up there!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby riverbeav » 02 19, 2014 •  [Post 12]

This will be my first season hunting evenings/ afternoons in a stand, and I am also wondering how you guys pass your time. I found a small pond last season that I found elk watering and wallowing in about six times last season. I plan on hunting this spot hard this year. If I would have bought a stand the moment I found it, I know I would have killed an elk in that spot. I think a stand is the most effective way to hunt this particular spot.

I am thinking of buying a bird book and bird watching/ identification as I sit. What are some other ideas for passing time for guys that have dumb phones and are not good at texting? Thanks
riverbeav

First Name: matt
Last Name: w

Postby Willie makit » 02 19, 2014 •  [Post 13]

Many days I hunt Daylight till dark in the WT woods, especially when Im hunting off. I know I only have 7-15 days to seal the deal and just I always say to myself, just one more hour is all I need. I have had critters be right underneath me while I'm reading a book or playing with phone, but it passes the time.

About 10 years ago I got a set of game ears, mainly to protect my hearing with the rifle, but they really opened up the woods for me and it will help you be a lot more aware of your surrounding, especially from a stand. I cant wait to see how far I can hear in the mountains.
Ive heard deer "mew" and grunt ever so softly that I would have never know were there without them.

Otherwise the most important thing is comfort! Its lots easier to sit longer if your comfortable. Use your best judgment when buying the cheap stuff, remember hunting season is about enjoy everything outdoors.
Willie makit

First Name: Thomas

Postby Washington Wapiti » 02 20, 2014 •  [Post 14]

Well, that is what having a ton of game camera pics and a mobile viewer is for! The only time I get cranky is when my knees and back start bothering me from sitting or I start cramping up. That's when I start getting "bored" or antsy is more like it. In my blind this wasn't as much of a problem as I had a pretty cozy chair inside. My tree stands are not of the most comfy variety (I may be upgrading for this year), but as Swede mentioned, confidence. I know my area will produce, it is only a matter of time. I agree having SOME animal sightings helps things along. Mostly, I'm never bored though because I'm where I love to be. In the wilderness. Also, knowing the game can change in an instant. Usually, I'm drained by the end of the day from sitting on high-alert for 11+ hours. Many times, there are things crashing around me that I can't see. That always keeps things exciting! Heck, while walking to my blind in 2012 I botched a bobcat's stalk on a grouse just a few feet down from where I now put my stand. Maybe I'm just easily amused. :D
Washington Wapiti

First Name: SHAWN

Postby Swede » 02 20, 2014 •  [Post 15]

Riverbeav: You can do quite a few things in a tree stand. Just don't sing. I read a little. I usually read a verse or two, stop and look around and then read a couple more. I have my day pack open so I can put my Bible back in it at a moments notice. I also like Sudoku. Just remember why you are in the tree at all times. As Washington Wapiti reminds us; they can come in at any moment. Oh, by the way: snacks are fun. :D
Swede