Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Learn from 2023

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Learn from 2023

Postby Elkhunttoo » 01 05, 2024 •  [Post 1]

What did I (you) learn from my stand locations in 2023?

It was a super tough season for me…very few elk in the area for the first week of the season. Hardly any bugling. The stand I chose to sit most of the season was not hit like I thought it would be. In 2022 we found the spring/wallow with one week left of the season…the area was absolutely hammered…I put a trail camera on it and it got hit 4 time in the first 2 weeks of October in 2022.

Really felt good going into the season. Sat this stand the majority of the season. It had 1 day out of the season that I could have shot an elk (16th). Mid day a 6 point came in and wallowed while I was at work. Cows went through later that evening. They hit it three other times all in the dark. On the 27th they came in 20 minutes after I left. I knew they were in the area and stayed right until the end of shooting light. The morning of the 28th I heard them coming towards me. A cow and calf came in to about 60 yards. The bull stayed just out of sight and never stopped in.

I think the number one thing I took out of last season was I don’t think I use traveling routes enough. I’ve always preferred water but it seems to me that the area I’m in I think I need to put a little more focus on saddles and trails in the timber/thick stuff

I got 5 new trail cameras for Christmas and I think next year I will gain a little more information then I have the last few years. Besides that I just love seeing the footage. I’m not as sure of how I want to approach 2024 as I thought I would be. Last year I had my exact plan and it failed. I guess that’s why it’s hunting
Elkhunttoo

Re: Learn from 2023

Postby Swede » 01 05, 2024 •  [Post 2]

I understand your frustration. I hunted a new area this past season and nothing seemed to go my way. When I went to one stand area the elk went to the other. I had elk bugle nearby, but none showed up. I was at water with several trails just below. Sometimes things just don't work out. I would say I learned something of value if I could think of something I should or would do differently, but I can't.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Learn from 2023

Postby Lefty » 01 07, 2024 •  [Post 3]

Evidently, I didn't learn, that patience is a virtue and death to the herd bull.

And I relearned,,, any time I think it is another :shock: hunter calling,,, its not
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H