Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Every other day

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Every other day

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 13, 2023 •  [Post 1]

I just check the trail cameras on Friday. The new spring I found after last year’s archery hunt is getting hit hard. Elk hit the spring 16 out of 34 days! And some of those days 3-4 times a day 3-4 hours apart. All cows and calves, no bulls which is normal for the area this time of year. I thought this would mainly be a morning spot but so far they have actually hit it more in the evenings. Several in the morning to though.

Now the problem. I don’t have a stand here. We figured this would be a saddle area this year but with the amount of activity it’s getting we might need to change that next year. The other problem I have is my wife and 2 others out of the 6 of us are allergic to sage brush and to get to this stand you have to get through some sage.

Swede? This area is only a few draws over from our areas we have our stands in. Do you feel that it will continue to get hit throughout the season?

3 seasons ago a friend that was with me saw elk heading into this area a few mornings in a row. He was trying to get in front of them and get a shot. Now we know where the water is it might change the game a bit
Elkhunttoo

Re: Every other day

Postby Swede » 08 13, 2023 •  [Post 2]

Probably they will stick around unless something causes them to leave. Does the vegetation get eaten or dried up? Do cattle or hunters push them away? Do the bulls gather them up before the rut and go somewhere with them? Have you seen elk in the area throughout the season?
If I could, I would hang a stand there and a trail camera. I too have allergies, but they "usually" do not bother me in my stand. Maybe your hunting companions would be fine sitting up on a high perch. They could wear a N95 mask going there?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 14, 2023 •  [Post 3]

If anything the beef cows should push more elk not this area. Usually none in this spot but there are some over the top and they sometimes cross over. Last year was the first time in 7 years we had any but I don’t think any hit this draw. We have hunted all around this area for several years now but never went into it even though we mean to every year. Private land at the bottom so no pressure from bottom. I’ve honestly never seen another hunter head in there but my friend that saw elk go into the draw a few mornings in a row towards the end of the hunt.

It’s a little farther in then I prefer but I think it will be totally worth it. We have three trail cameras in there now but no stands left. I think for this year we will just use the saddles there. I’m really liking what my crew has going into the season as far as “the plan” is concerned
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 08 14, 2023 •  [Post 4]

Best wishes. I hope you do well there and have come up with a place to go to in the future. Keep us posted on how this spot works out.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics