Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Did that just happen!!!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Did that just happen!!!

Postby Elkhunttoo » 06 06, 2023 •  [Post 1]

What are some of the crazy things animals have done that you have seen from your stand?

I’m sitting last season minding my own business when I hear something to my right. I looked down the canyon and a huge hawk was flying through the trees. It went flying right by me, barely missing me by 2-3 inches. Scared the daylights out of me. Couldn’t believe how loud it was as it went by.
Elkhunttoo

Re: Did that just happen!!!

Postby Swede » 06 06, 2023 •  [Post 2]

I did not realize how still I had been in my stand until I noticed from my peripheral vision that I had buzzards circling and a bunch had landed in a limby older snag nearby. When I saw what was happening I decided it was time to stand up and stretch my legs. Very soon I had the forest to myself again.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby wawhitey » 06 07, 2023 •  [Post 3]

Sept 2018, just as it was getting dark and i was ready to climb out of my stand, getting quite chilly, i slipped into my heavy wool coat. As i was doing so a big owl swooped down at me (guess my arms slipping into the sleeves sounded like a squirrel on bark or something) and right before he ripped into my face he kinda did a backstroke and hovered in place for a second right in front of my face, staring at me. Dont think ill ever forget that one.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby six » 06 08, 2023 •  [Post 4]

I was sitting in my tree stand watching a racoon gobble up acorns. Just before dark the racoon decided to climb the tree I was in. As the racoon was poking his head in-between boards to come onto my stand I kicked him in the head. He did an about face and took off.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby wawhitey » 06 08, 2023 •  [Post 5]

six wrote:I was sitting in my tree stand watching a racoon gobble up acorns. Just before dark the racoon decided to climb the tree I was in. As the racoon was poking his head in-between boards to come onto my stand I kicked him in the head. He did an about face and took off.

Mighty neighborly of ya :lol:
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 06 19, 2023 •  [Post 6]

Not much exciting from a tree stand. but in ground blinds, sitting on the ground, layout blinds and pits all sorts of stuff.

I've had a lot of animals walk up to me while sitting on a stand hunting one kind of game or another. I have had red fox, squirrels, pine marten, mink Walk right up to my feet or gun barrel while squirrel hunting. I've had a few really cool standoffs with doe whitetail deer 3 to 10 ft away. I've had bear and elk walk right up to a soft ground blind
I have had deer a number of times walk up and nuzzle my boots or the end of my gun barrel.
A bull elk one time smacked the ground blind that I had made out of OSB and blow snot on my face
My youngest daughter and I stacked up on an antelope one time. If she wouldn't have been so slow I tried to have her get a picture of me touching the antelope. She was monkeying around with the camera and said "okay"and the antelope busted out of there.
I've had deer bear coyotes skunks raccons mice knocking around on a tent.

But some of the neatest things have happened goose hunting. I've had deer run up to the edge of the spread and bounce their feet,
I've had elk run up and just kind of stare and take off running but they were downwind.
I a handful of times where coyotes have gotten within the spread
I've had eagles and coyotes attack decoys.
It's your ad kind of a fun thing happened Idaho now has a five goose season.
It was getting late in the morning I was cold the dog was cold. I had four geese
My gun and some of the decoys in my blind bag are already in the truck at the edge of the spread. I had a dozen decoys that were still in place and a half a dozen decoys that were in a big black bag and another dozen decoys already in the back of the pickup.
Three geese kept honking and circling I put a shell in my gun grabbed my call told the dog to sit. I somewhat hid behind the open back door of my pickup.
I called that small flight in and killed my fifth goose.
But more than anything I was quite proud of my dog.
She stayed steady the whole time those geese kept circling us and so close.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 06 19, 2023 •  [Post 7]

I have had geese ducks and swan land against my blind or on it.
The spring snow goose hunting during the conservation season had some pretty cool things happen. One was just kind of fun to watch or see happen.
We are walking back to camp The one guy was just putting away the e-callar.
I heard geese coming in.
Eventually Charlie got a shot and dropped a pair of geese.
My buddy Tim and I or maybe 600 yd from the spread and there was my dog right beside me with a goose in her mouth.
Evidently she saw the goose drop at the shot and ran back to the spread and grabbed one of the geese.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H