Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Accessing a tree, vest & what shot angle?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Accessing a tree, vest & what shot angle?

Postby Jhg » 05 11, 2023 •  [Post 1]

What shot angle is to be avoided from a tree stand? What are some options for climbing sticks?, or whatever, to access my stand?
Stash the sticks nearby or take with?

I have three stands, and some screw in steps. I do not have a safety vest yet.
Jhg

Re: Accessing a tree, vest & what shot angle?

Postby Swede » 05 11, 2023 •  [Post 2]

I have shot nearly straight down. I shoot for the spine. It stops the elk in its tracks, but requires a follow-up shot. I have killed 5 or 6 this way. I had a picture here on WT of the spine mounted to a board that shows what it looks like. The last elk I shot at such a steep angle was with a bow set at 60#. It cut the spinal cord but did not exit the spine.
I have shot elk that were on a higher level than my stand. The bottom line is shoot at whatever angle you can make a clean kill.

I have used climbing sticks but own none. Friends and relatives bring them. I have only screw in steps and sometimes I make a ladder to get up the tree. I make my ladders 17 feet. There is nothing magical about 17 feet. That is about all I can handle using dried poles and native material for rungs. I leave my steps in all season. I have lost none, but they are vulnerable to theft if the wrong person sees them. The risk seems low considering I put them in shortly before the start of the season and take them with me when I leave.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Jhg » 05 11, 2023 •  [Post 3]

You make ladders for each stand? Not a problem here. Do you use paracord to lash rungs or?
Jhg

Postby Swede » 05 11, 2023 •  [Post 4]

Whenever I make a ladder, it stays at or near where it was constructed. I screw or nail the rungs on then wire them for security. My ladders last about 15-18 years.
Swede

Postby Jhg » 05 11, 2023 •  [Post 5]

[quote="Swede"... My ladders last about 15-18 years.[/quote]

That should work!
Jhg

Postby Swede » 05 11, 2023 •  [Post 6]

054.JPG
054.JPG (196.32 KiB) Viewed 702 times

Here is one of my old ladder stands. I killed several bulls from that tree over the years. The are was logged several years ago and I have not been back.
Swede

Postby Jhg » 05 12, 2023 •  [Post 7]

Getting excited. The ladder for me really makes a difference in my willingness to go tree stand. I don't mind climbing, heck I do it for a living. But step theft is something that I have seen where I hunt and not a fan of buying sticks.
I know some great places to spot a stand!

Another fabulous location. See the old stand on a dead spar in middle top of image. I met the guys who made those stands years ago, out of cedar. They have been there for 20 years. Pretty well thought out stands
51F11D57-B083-4C98-9426-D9723E3B9B73.jpeg
51F11D57-B083-4C98-9426-D9723E3B9B73.jpeg (225.85 KiB) Viewed 699 times
Jhg

Postby Swede » 05 12, 2023 •  [Post 8]

I like your tree stand locations. I use ladders quite a bit, but the downside is that hunters see them and are attracted. It is rare that they try to take over, but it has happened a couple or three times for me. One time I lost one of my ladders. I have no idea where it went. It was more work to pack it off to another location than it was worth. Besides wiring my ladder rungs to the pole, I also lash the top to the tree so it cannot fall away. Notice that the top of the ladder is just about the same width as the tree so it fits tight and is not prone to moving around. The poles and rungs are heavy duty enough to be very secure.
Swede

Postby Jhg » 05 12, 2023 •  [Post 9]

Got it. I will use those pointers when I make and set the ladders. I am guessing the ladder stays set for the season or do you remove them when you get down?
Jhg

Postby Swede » 05 13, 2023 •  [Post 10]

I leave the ladder there permanently. Rarely do I take one down. I forgot to say anything about the safety vest, but my preference is for the vest type. They are quick and easy to get in and out of. They don't get tangled up. Mine is put out by HSS (Hunter Safety Systems). I do not know that they are the best, but that is what I bought, and I like it.
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 05 14, 2023 •  [Post 11]

I used the muddy climbing sticks that slid together and form a ladder and they worked awesome. A little heavy to pack in but loved them for up and down.

Looks like a great spot…how far in is it to get to it?

Last year I had a spot I really liked but it was a 45 minute push to get to the stand. I’m not going to use that spot anymore. I am going to try and have 20 minutes in/out be the farthest.
Elkhunttoo