Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Summer time prep

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Summer time prep

Postby Elkhunttoo » 04 17, 2023 •  [Post 1]

I have two springs that I found last season that are both really good spots. Neither need a ton of work but they both need branches broken and “work” that might make them more attractive areas for game.

Also have one area we need to put some boots on the ground in and find out if there is a water source that we don’t know about. We heard bugles almost every day we sat one stand in a direction we have never found water in but we think there has to be something there. It would be another ideal location if we can find something.

The stand we sat in that we could hear the bugles from is a great area. We took a bear and a six point from it this last year but would love if we could find the other little hide out this summer.

What work do you guys need to do at stand locations?
Elkhunttoo

Re: Summer time prep

Postby Swede » 04 18, 2023 •  [Post 2]

Oregon has gone to a draw system for the areas I have been hunting. I will need to scout a whole new area unless I want to burn my points to return. I spent a lot of my winter map and GE searching one area, but my son does not want to go there. I may start over. Fortunately, he can do a lot of the at home search for any area he is interested in and I can just get on board. After that we will nee to put some considerable time on the ground.

Good luck on your area. It sounds great. Keep us informed on how it works out.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkhunttoo » 04 18, 2023 •  [Post 3]

So will you need multiple points to hunt your normal areas?
Elkhunttoo

Postby Elkhunttoo » 04 18, 2023 •  [Post 4]

4B1C8BE9-0EB4-499F-BCC5-C1427E8D1917.jpeg
4B1C8BE9-0EB4-499F-BCC5-C1427E8D1917.jpeg (131.92 KiB) Viewed 580 times

This bull is exactly 20 yards from my stand…this was 2 or 3 days after last season. This is the main spot I plan to be at next season
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 04 18, 2023 •  [Post 5]

I do not need multiple points to hunt my normal area, but I would burn all 13 of mine if I made it my first choice. Second choice is under 50% chance.
That bull feels rather content in front of your stand now that the season is over.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Jhg » 04 23, 2023 •  [Post 6]

I have a lot to do to re-establish my familiarity due to massive fires changing things. The first thing is to decide where other hunters will focus. After that I choose pockets or other areas using unusual access points.

The elk are, IMO, more or less using the areas as they did before the fires but due to the large deserts of blackened timber they will not be bedding in those "dark timber" niches that they might have used before.
The greens and wets will get it per usual for the fodder.
Jhg