Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Some Idaho wolf info

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Some Idaho wolf info

Postby Lefty » 01 28, 2023 •  [Post 1]

Idaho’s 2022 population estimate of 1,337 wolves declined by about 13 percent, or 206 wolves, compared with the 2021 estimate based on cameras surveys that measure the population during summer near its annual peak.

“Wolf population reduction has been a priority of the Fish and Game Commission,” Idaho Fish and Game Director Ed Schriever said. “There’s been a concerted effort by Fish and Game staff, hunters, trappers and other partners and agencies to reduce wolf conflicts with livestock and bring the wolf population in balance with prey species, particularly elk.

“We are encouraged by efforts that have resulted in a drop in wolf numbers, and this aligns with our long-term goal to reduce Idaho’s wolf population. We’d like to see it fluctuate around 500, which is outlined in our draft wolf management plan and aligns with the federal rule that delisted wolves,” Schriever said.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Some Idaho wolf info

Postby wawhitey » 01 28, 2023 •  [Post 2]

I was really hoping to get over there in december for a wolf / lion hunt but man we got hammered hard with early snow so i decided it was best to stick close to home. Hopefully ill be able to get after it this fall / early winter.
Ill have the last 3 weeks of april off this year, so im hoping ill be able to find a couple places that i can get around over there, simultaneously hunt wolves, lions, and try to round up an early riser kind of bear. Im sure access this april will be difficult to say the least. Not expecting much but ill give it a try.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 01 30, 2023 •  [Post 3]

I have heard wolves from my tree stand. Maybe one of you clowns can add some tactics for increasing my odds of seeing one up close. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby wawhitey » 01 30, 2023 •  [Post 4]

You just wanna pee on one dont you?
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 01 30, 2023 •  [Post 5]

I do not know Whitey. They have a bounty on whoever shot some wolves near La Grande. I do not want a bounty on my hide for peeing on one.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 02 21, 2023 •  [Post 6]

wawhitey wrote:You just wanna pee on one dont you?
:lol: :lol:
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 04 12, 2023 •  [Post 7]

wawhitey wrote:You just wanna pee on one dont you?

My goal its to touch them ( or they touch me) I count coup :lol:

I came back to this thread,,,,

Building homes with a guy, when the new house became livable, he would pee off the roof gable. Marking our house!

Evidently, I had shared that "tradition/ experience " with my construction students.
While finishing up our last house that my construction program built, a student wanted to get a picture with a couple of other students with the house, " Because the lighting was good"
After graduation I was sent a picture.

A few of us in the front yard of the house With Joey up on the peak of the gable in the background with a golden stream lit up from the sun backlighting as it arched to the ground.
Lefty