Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

The Best Tree Stands

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

The Best Tree Stands

Postby Swede » 12 21, 2022 •  [Post 1]

I know this is as subjective as a discussion on what makes up the best hunting truck. There may even be some argument on whether or not the best hunting truck is even a truck and so it could be with tree stands. Whatever you do remember Safety is your highest priority.

I will break things down into two groups.
1. Tree stands for a one- or two-time hunt in a spot. For these locations, I might go with a climber if I had it or just develop a good ground blind.
I do not own any climbers and can't say there is a particular one I would recommend. I have used several that belonged to hunters I have camped with. I remember I sort of liked the API stand I used and hated the Tree Lounge.
You need to decide if packing in a climber, or if a stand with steps is best. It usually takes me 45 minutes to an hour to prep a tree and set my hang on stand at a good height. It does not save much time to go up far enough the first time with a climber. If you are going to compromise much on stand height, then you might as well stay on the ground.
2. Stationary hang on stands. I will break this group down into to two subgroups. a. small lightweight stands for long pack ins or short stays, and larger more comfortable stands for locations closer in, and where you want to spend hours on end hunting.
a. The small lightweight stands are generally uncomfortable for extended hunting times. I hate them, and the longer I sit or stand the hatred gets. But if I want to set over a great looking spring or wallow that is a long way from my motor vehicle, then it is an option. I just think of that huge elk I will be watching over. Small lightweight stands are generally safe and easy to hang. There is something good to say about them, especially if you are going to be alone in the woods.
b. The larger stationary stands may come as one or two pieces. The one-piece (all in one) stands are heavy to lift and cumbersome to hold and fasten to the tree. You will want to be fastened to the tree to safely manage this critter. It helps to have a pully above your stand location and a rope through it so someone on the ground can pull it up to you. That makes the job much easier. If you are alone it helps to have a hanger above your stand location so you can hold the stand against the tree while you fasten the strap to your tree. I rarely use this type of stand any more.

I have gone with the two-piece fixed position stands. After placing all of my steps in the tree I get my lightweight hanger up and set. Then I adjust it so that it is in place when I bring my stand up to place in the hanger. This is a fairly easy matter and safe. Again, a hanger right above your stand location can be handy to assist you in bring up the stand and setting in into the hanger.
For all stands I like to have a step or two above my stand so I can safely get in and out. With the two piece stands I like to have something to secure the stand at the bottom so it cannot kick out when I climb in or out. A cinch strap is a good tool for that.

If anyone is wondering; I do not use ladder stands. I just gave the last two I owned away. I found them to be noisy and unsteady. Whenever I used one, I would take a hang-on stand to set above it, so instead of a ladder stand I just had a ladder. Tree steps are easier to set and a whole lot lighter.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: The Best Tree Stands

Postby Elkhunttoo » 12 31, 2022 •  [Post 2]

I don’t have to much experience in lot of different stands…but I sat a lot of all day sits and I’m of the opinion that comfort is what I’m in it for when deciding on what stand. I’m going to be using a saddle for some of my set ups this year. Way lighter and can move them easier if I want to move spots.

The main area I will be sitting next year I will have my stand in. I’m going to work on building a small blind on the tree behind me to help break me up. Can’t wait for next year!
Elkhunttoo