Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Tree saddle hunting

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Tree saddle hunting

Postby Elkhunttoo » 10 28, 2022 •  [Post 1]

I’m looking into getting a saddle for next season. I really like lots of the things about the saddle over the stand. I think my number one thing I like is having the tree in front of me instead of behind me. I feel like I can get to my bow with less movement and all other items. Honestly I just feel more comfortable facing the tree. I’m sure there are pros and cons to both the saddle and the stand…I will still use my three stands but I feel it will be super convenient to have a saddle for the other areas…also when my wife is in a stand I can use my saddle to be in an area closer to her so she can radio if need be. The other reason for the saddle is if I get one I want to go sit in the same area my hunting partners are so I can video and vice a versa.

Has anyone used a saddle and what are your thoughts on them?
Elkhunttoo

Re: Tree saddle hunting

Postby Swede » 11 02, 2022 •  [Post 2]

I can stay for over 13 hours straight in a tree stand. How long can you stay in a Johnny-Jump-Up? I think a tree saddle would get very uncomfortable after a while.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Native Indian » 12 29, 2022 •  [Post 3]

I switched to a saddle this year after my son did the prior year. Neither of us will go back to stand hunting. It is super comfortable, you have 360 degree shot opportunity, you can keep the tree between you and the deer if you want, etc. You can even keep the tree at your back if you preferred that. You can stand or sit, lean, whatever.
I like the fact that you can pretty much hunt from any tree (provided you can get your rope around it). With a climber, you can forget leaners, slick barks, or overly big trees.
Hit me up with any questions.
Native Indian

Postby Native Indian » 12 29, 2022 •  [Post 4]

Swede wrote:I can stay for over 13 hours straight in a tree stand. How long can you stay in a Johnny-Jump-Up? I think a tree saddle would get very uncomfortable after a while.

You would be amazed at how comfortable it is Swede.
Native Indian

Postby Elkhunttoo » 12 31, 2022 •  [Post 5]

Welcome aboard Native Indian. Thanks for the comment. Does the saddle pinch your hips on the long sits? What brand are you using?
Elkhunttoo

Postby DKenn757 » 01 11, 2023 •  [Post 6]

Elkhuntoo I experienced some hip pinch when I first started saddle hunting a couple years ago and it was due to not having the saddle adjusted properly for me. Once I got the saddle adjusted and figured out what worked best for my tether height, I was just as comfortable as I was in my climber or XOP hang-on. I started out with a Tethrd Phantom and switched to the Cruzr XC last year. In my opinion, both saddles work great. I bought the XC because I wanted to try something different.
DKenn757

Postby Deanmac » 01 14, 2023 •  [Post 7]

Lots of folks in GA have switched to the saddle. I have not seen a single complaint about them and seen none used ones for sell.
Deanmac

Postby Swede » 01 14, 2023 •  [Post 8]

I am finding this conversation to be interesting. Admittedly, I have never even seen a tree saddle except in pictures and videos. All of the trees I hunt from are single stem pine/fir type conifers.
Tree saddles look like they would be hard on your nads and very uncomfortable for long periods of waiting. The saddle also does not look like a stable shooting platform. It appears a regular stand allows for a lot more movement to maintain comfort and repositing for a shot. I can stand and reposition myself.
It may not seem like much for you younger hunters, but I like to stand up and take a whiz about every hour. I hope you guys don't have to do as the kid in the Johnny jump up does. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics