Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Treestands Over Reprod?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Treestands Over Reprod?

Postby Camptravis » 08 03, 2022 •  [Post 1]

I was thinking about putting up a treestand in a taller tree over looking an area of reprod timber and I was wondering if anyone else has ever tried a similar strategy.

A lot of my area is managed timber land and once an area is logged it is either replanted with new trees or while logging they leave a scattering of mature trees to reseed the area and regrow trees that way. I've noticed in a lot of these areas with dense young stands of trees usually 15 to 40 feet tall there seems to be a good amount of elk sign. I find heavily used trails meandering through the thick growth, lots of elk beds and droppings and even some decent rubs on trees that are the perfect size for an elk to thrash around.

My main strategy would be to locate a mature tree that I could get up into that overlooks an area of concentrated elk sign in the reprod, whether it be a tree on the edge of an uncut stand of mature timber or a lone uncut tree left standing in the reprod itself.

I'm thinking that if I can find an area where the trees are short enough and widely spaced enough to be able to see elk moving around below me than I should be able to get a shot off. I will be using a rifle, but I assume the same strategy could be used for archery if the area concentrated the elk enough to funnel them to within shooting range.

So yeah just curious if anyone has hunted in a similar way and if so what was the experience like?
Camptravis

Re: Treestands Over Reprod?

Postby 7mmfan » 08 04, 2022 •  [Post 2]

I have not actually done it, but I've strongly considered the same tactic for blacktail where I live. I don't see a reason it wouldn't work for elk. Animals feel pretty secure in that tall thick reprod, and they usually have a lot of feed in them still.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 08 04, 2022 •  [Post 3]

As long as you can remain hidden from elk eyes and have good places to shoot; you should be fine. I have placed my stand in and around brush and reprod. The same tree-stand principles apply there as anywhere else. I do not hunt wallows, or timber or trails, etc. I am hunting elk and go wherever I think I can ambush one. Where I set a stand is based on the evidence that elk are likely to show themselves.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 08 05, 2022 •  [Post 4]

7mmfan wrote:I have not actually done it, but I've strongly considered the same tactic for blacktail where I live. I don't see a reason it wouldn't work for elk. Animals feel pretty secure in that tall thick reprod, and they usually have a lot of feed in them still.

I have done that over newer re-gens. 6-10 trees One place on St Helens bordering the Yakima Reservation Ion a rock ledge.

At one place: I never got it done but really wanted to pack in my 32' ladder and build a stand in huge cedar snag on the wet side of Gifford Pichoit..
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H