Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Totally committed, a 15 week logbook

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Totally committed, a 15 week logbook

Postby Jhg » 05 10, 2022 •  [Post 1]

Sometimes its fish or cut bait. This evening I am committing to this falls elk hunt to being as much about tree stand hunting as spot-n-stalk, run & gun, ghosting, or calling while standing full view in the middle of an open park like Cory does.

I am thrilled nephew will be joining me this fall archery. As some of you may recall his first elk hunting experience was 4th rifle under my agenda.

He passed the test.

Last week he found a beautiful hybrid longbow. It is pretty easy to drop a thousand these days on a nice custom bow, and though you can certainly spend less, it is difficult not to when the criteria includes accommodating a long draw without stacking. Throw in thIngs like draw weight preference and requirements (lets just say we decided 55-ish lbs minimum for elk) and suddenly the used bow market gets really narrow very fast.
So when a diamond in the rough (bocate riser and veneers covered by a DIY crappy camo paint job) showed up at RMSG for $400.00 the advice was buy it because a quick google yielded all praise and awe and appreciation for the bowyer, the bow and its performance.

I own at least 3 tree stands. There may still be a 4th but a fire may have claimed it but at this moment I don't know.

Follow me and nephew as we scout and determine how and where to set these stands with your help. We will be asking questions that will take into consideration the local elk behavior, morning or evening access, thermals and other hunter pressure. Lots of pictures so we can tap into the collective knowledge here comparing one possible location vs another. I will also want to learn how best to place a stand, modify them to be silent when moving around on them and other stuff I probably don't know about.

Here is one possible location. This seep is just below ridge line and above a long steady slope to a creek (3/4 mile) down, but it is 4 miles from the trailhead. I had a rotund 4x head on right here a few years ago.

D9D5E427-4DED-4B5D-95A5-D9F1B12272E1.jpeg
D9D5E427-4DED-4B5D-95A5-D9F1B12272E1.jpeg (313.29 KiB) Viewed 1305 times
Jhg

Re: Totally committed, a 15 week logbook

Postby Swede » 05 10, 2022 •  [Post 2]

Best wishes on your hunt. Your spring looks good to me. You should know more before the season arrives. I would test my stand for squeaks near the ground. I do not have squeaks problems with my Millenium stands, but I do with the others. If the squeak is a problem be sure to fix it before you have an elk come in. Sometimes gasket material or plastic spacers can cure squeaks. Once you get a stand silenced, I have found it is usually good for the season.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkhunttoo » 05 11, 2022 •  [Post 3]

What kind of tree stands are they? I still need to purchase at least two for this year and kind decide on which ones yet. I’m excited to see how your year goes
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 05 12, 2022 •  [Post 4]

The stand I like is the Millennium M100u. It is easy to set up and safer than most others. I like it that it has a detached receiver that you take up the tree with you. When you pull up the stand, you just set it in the receiver. It is very easy and safe. You can purchase an extra receiver(s) and have multiple places to hang your stand. Where theft is an issue, just take your stand down when you will be away awhile. In less than five minutes you can hang it up again.
Swede

Postby Jhg » 07 31, 2022 •  [Post 5]

Well, this has not turned out as I claimed it would. Not sure if I will be able to set any stands given where I am hunting OTC. Anyway, I would like to try again next year if I don't stand hunt this fall.
If I set any stands will post some pictures.
Jhg

Postby Swede » 08 01, 2022 •  [Post 6]

In the past I have always hunted OTC units. I don't understand why that would prevent you from using your tree stand. Is this a new place you have never scouted? Best wishes on your hunt.
Swede

Postby Jhg » 08 02, 2022 •  [Post 7]

The gmu is a lot farther away and I am not able to get out there ahead of time. I know the unit well though.
Jhg

Postby Swede » 08 03, 2022 •  [Post 8]

Just take a stand along with the steps, etc. You may just come across a good hot elk spot.
Swede