Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Dates to Tree Stand Hunt

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Dates to Tree Stand Hunt

Postby Swede » 04 13, 2022 •  [Post 1]

The best dates to tree stand hunt for elk varies from place to place. The same is actually true for time of day also, but that is for a different thread.
I have hunted where the early season is best, and in places where it is better late in September. Some locations seem to be good at various points in the season. Elk travel patterns are what it is about in some areas. Transitions from summer routines to gathering cows seems to be big in some places. Hunter pressure and forage can change routines. I have run into places where elk come to a certain water hole daily.
Where I have been hunting for the last few years, the elk come around sporadically as they travel in a large circular pattern. It takes scouting, game cameras and a couple of seasons to sometimes figure out what you are dealing with.
I have not hunted a lot of different elk States but suppose I have seen enough to understand it varies and it will take time to figure out a new location. With everything considered, I still believe tree stand hunting elk is the best way for most people to get an elk on a regular basis. This year I will either have to draw a tag or go somewhere new.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Dates to Tree Stand Hunt

Postby Elkhunttoo » 04 19, 2022 •  [Post 2]

You will have to remind me Swede of why moving to a new area??? Seems like I remember reading you saying something about it but can’t remember

I feel like I’m my area it’s more of consistency rather then when/specific dates. I do prefer the first half of the season but have had luck sitting whenever throughout the season
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 04 21, 2022 •  [Post 3]

The reason I changed locations was due to the elk moving onto private land within three days of the start of the season. It used to be that sitting over a water hole was great in the early season when the weather was hot. In the mid-season it was difficult but picked up again when the rut started. The last 5 years it was poor all season long and it took me that long to figure it out. I was still getting elk, but I had to stay twice as long to get one and instead of having multiple opportunities, I had to be satisfied with just one.
Where I hunt now the elk are very scattered but move through the area about every two weeks. At least they are reliable in that way. Where I am currently hunting now there are water holes everywhere and trails are common, so I call once before I climb into my stand and wait. That has worked amazingly well when the elk are in hearing range.
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 04 29, 2022 •  [Post 4]

I’ve been thinking about the call and splash before getting in the stand and I have a few questions

If you hear them talk/talking on the to your stand would you still do this?

The main water crossings I have now are natural feed into in the morning and out in the evening stops for the elk…would you suggest it in this type of spot?

I feel like at times if I do that it might cause the herd bull to move the cows around me instead of coming through.

Have you picked your new spot yet?
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 04 30, 2022 •  [Post 5]

Let me see if I can answer your questions.

I call before I climb up to my stand. I do it to draw elk my way. I have had herds come but usually it is one or two. I have had elk answer me, but anymore I never bugle after I get into my stand. I do not answer a call and if I think they have heard me, I wait for them to come check me out. I do not know the mind of the elk, but I believe they are curious and come to search for the bull they heard. It usually takes them about two hours to show up. I do my calling at locations that the elk can easily bypass. I am trying to improve the odds of them coming to me.
I agree that a herd bull is not going to check you out or bring his cows to you. If I get a herd, it is all cows with a couple of spikes mixed in. In the early season I have had a bull bunch show up.

Elkhunttoo wrote:If you hear them talk/talking on the to your stand would you still do this?
I assume you are asking if I would call if I heard elk while walking to my stand.
Maybe. Where are they and how far away? Is the call from cows or is it a location bugle? If it was a herd with a big bull, I would stay quiet. I would stay quiet for anything very close. If I did, it would be just one short (2 second) call.

"The main water crossings I have now are natural feed into in the morning and out in the evening stops for the elk…would you suggest it in this type of spot?"
I do not know if there is any guidance I can give on this scenario. Do you think it would significantly improve the likelihood of elk coming your way? I might sit there a few days and see what is happening and go from there.

"I feel like at times if I do that it might cause the herd bull to move the cows around me instead of coming through."
I agree 100%. Most likely they will go some other direction all together. A herd bull is not going to bring his cow to a known bull. They seem to be very selfish about sharing their cows.

I have some spots I can hunt, but I plan to go to a new location and scout this summer. If I do not draw a 2nd choice tag, I will have to go to an area I am completely unfamiliar with.
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 05 04, 2022 •  [Post 6]

Thanks for your thoughts…I completely agree that they take there own sweet time to come and investigate.

Good luck with the draw…and the scouting
Elkhunttoo