Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Three stands. So little time.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Three stands. So little time.

Postby Jhg » 02 11, 2022 •  [Post 1]

I am inspired to set my stands this archery season. So far here is my plan and subject to on the ground adjustments.

1) A stand serving a wallow for that very first week when the bulls are staging up.

2) Another watching a travel tunnel. My thinking with this one is early season when the wallows are being ignored but elk are likely traveling.

3) The third stand is going to be in another area, rather than concentrate them all in the same drainage. Wallow or travel tunnel/bench IDK.

The great thing about the time and the miles I have put into where I hunt is right off the top of my head I can think of many great locations for the stands. The other part I need to reckon with is choosing how to climb up into the stands. The last (and only) stand I set was easily the most dangerous thing I have ever done in a tree- and thats coming from an arborist.
Jhg

Re: Three stands. So little time.

Postby Swede » 02 11, 2022 •  [Post 2]

There are several ways to safely get into and out of a tree stand. I commonly use screw in steps, but they make special ladders to go up on, and you can make your own ladder. The safe way to go up on steps is to have a climbing harness so you are attached to the tree at all times. Take a HSS safety line with you and attach it above your head when you get to where you want to hang your stand. When you climb a tree, go past the stand with your steps and step down into it, rather than lifting yourself up to get in.
If you have three stands set in the one that shows the most use. Murphy's law insists the elk will go to the one you were considering but decided against at the last moment. If Murphy would mind his own business, we would fill our tags in the first few days of every season.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics