Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

So so COLD…so so HOT…So so cold

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

So so COLD…so so HOT…So so cold

Postby Elkhunttoo » 10 15, 2021 •  [Post 1]

It’s 7:30 am and I’m sitting my sitting my desired spot towards the end of this last season… temperature is in the 20’s… hiked for 45 minutes to get here and sweating a bit when I sit down. Cool off for a minute and then put on all of my clothes to try and stay warm for the next 4-5 hours…3pm hits and it’s 72 with the sun hitting me and it feels like it’s 100…

What do you do to try and stay warm in the morning so you can hold still?

I hate taking clothes on and off all of the time but when I sit I have to pack way more clothing them when I’m chasing. One idea I have is when I pick where I want to sit next year maybe try and leave so clothing so that I don’t have to pack it all back and forth. What do you do?
Elkhunttoo

Re: So so COLD…so so HOT…So so cold

Postby Swede » 10 15, 2021 •  [Post 2]

Unfortunately that is a part of tree stand hunting. I "try" to find a spot that is in the sun in the morning and in the shade in the evening during the early season, but it is not often easy. I wear a vest most of the time and try to avoid too much bulk. The truth is I will sit cold a lot of the time. I prefer to be a little uncomfortable on the cold side. I have taken some pocket hand warmers with me, but that is a rare event. Hang in there and live with it. I know that is not very comforting. Maybe someone that hunts late season Whitetails can help you with some better ideas. I will follow this thread to see if I can learn something.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Swede » 10 18, 2021 •  [Post 3]

I did not mention them above, but I wore a pair of light brown Carhart insulated bibs and had a hat similar to what the Russians wear outside in the winter. They sure helped on cold mornings. I could not wear them going to and from my stand, but they were great while just sitting for hours. I would be leery of wearing those Carhart bibs walking through the forest and they are about the same color as an elk. That dark brown Artic cap could just do you in.
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 10 18, 2021 •  [Post 4]

I have a pair of coveralls (same color and brand) that I wondered about packing in and leaving in if it isn’t raining. I also have my old wool pants that I will probably use next year to…do you ever leave anything at the tree or do you always pack it in and out?
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lefty » 10 19, 2021 •  [Post 5]

Ill walk in and expect to warm up.
Often if I plan to sit or lay down in a field layout Ill pack in and add more clothes.
My dad always taught us to dress warmer on the bottom so we could work or shoot
If Im out much of the day Ill wear 2000 gm insulated boots, ,
2,3 4 insulation base layers (Bottoms)under my Bibs. Union underwear
And some cold days you need to keep moving

Im thinking of getting electric sox and Milwaukee jacket

Also good clothing to keep you warm when sitting, little things, fleece fase mask, neck gator warm hat/head gear, mittens/muffs

Simple,, but most people just don't do it. Construction workers can stay warm,, farmers can stay warm,,,, or not

I worked construction one winter near Portland Or. My partner was often a fellow from California. After a few days in the morning at 40 degrees I hauled him off to a farm supply store and got him insulated boots and Carharts

He thought dressing warm ment a nice jacket, hat and gloves
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 10 19, 2021 •  [Post 6]

I leave things stashed near my tree on occasion. Sometimes I even leave my bow, but that is rare and only at mid day.
Swede