Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Rifle hunting from a tree stand

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Rifle hunting from a tree stand

Postby Camptravis » 10 09, 2021 •  [Post 1]

Has anyone here ever rifle hunted from a tree stand? I hunt in an area that is pretty dense timber and brush so for the vast majority of my area spot and stalk tactics are not a good option. However there are a decent amount of clearcuts in parts of my area but these places are heavily roaded which means it's a mecca for road hunters and atvs during season. I prefer to get away from all that madness as much as possible and like to hunt in solitude so I prefer to hunt away from those types of areas. So in my mind the advantage of hunting from a tree stand with a rifle would be that I have greater range to shoot but the disadvantage could be that I am hunting during the post rut when most elk are not moving around as much so I am just curious if rifle hunting from a treestand could be a viable option. And so everyone is aware I did buy and read the treestand hunting book so I am familiar with what it reccomends and I was curious if it could be applicable to rifle hunting instead of archery.
Camptravis

Re: Rifle hunting from a tree stand

Postby Elkhunttoo » 10 09, 2021 •  [Post 2]

I think lots of guys rifle hunt for whitetails for a lot of the same reasons you just stated. Personally I never have but I have also never had a reason for it. Good luck if you do and let us know how it goes
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 10 09, 2021 •  [Post 3]

No experience, but it should work. Like bow hunting, you need to have your stand in a location where elk are going to come by within shooting range. For late season I would not pay attention to water. I would go for a place where elk have several trails that come together near an open meadow or clear-cut where they feed.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 12 06, 2021 •  [Post 4]

Growing up in Mn. it was traditional to hunt deer from a tree stand. At that time the platform could not be over 6 feet up. All worried guys would fall asleep and fall out of the blind.

I ddint realize what a great location I often walked through in norther Utah should have had a stand there for elk.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Tigger » 12 07, 2021 •  [Post 5]

Should work just fine...just check your pride and dignity at the trailhead! :o :lol:

I would think you may set up in a slightly different location due to the ability to shoot further. Like back away another 50-100 yards from where you expect to see the elk so they don't see, hear, or smell you as easy.

Or, you may now be able to cover and entire saddle or funnel where you could not with a bow. Or you may be able to cover just more area. One thing about seeing a much larger area is that it helps fend off boredom.
Tigger

Postby Camptravis » 04 20, 2022 •  [Post 6]

Thanks for the advice. Yeah i was thinking of setting up in an area high up above relatively short but dense cover like a bedding area or daytime feeding area in a brush patch that would look impenetrable from hunters glassing on the ground but that I could look down into from my higher vantage point. I would locate the stand in an area that would take advantage of the local topography so that I could see a greater area. Maybe something like a bowl feature where I could see opposing hillsides facing towards me out to 300 yards or so. Obviously I would scout it out first to make sure there are actually elk in the area by finding trails and sign first. But I think a setup like this could work pretty well especially for heavily pressured post rut bulls that have gone nocturnal. But I'm open to input on other ideas or criticism on why this idea wouldn't work. :D
Camptravis

Postby Lefty » 04 28, 2022 •  [Post 7]

I had a deer stand 35 feet up a huge fir tree. Comfortable and safe. When we knew we were moving from Utah a neighbor knew I had a stand and cache up there. I think I sold the tree stand and the contents of an overnight bucket for $15.00

A single big tree in the 5-8 feet thick stuff riddled with game trails.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H