Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Above or below

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Above or below

Postby Elkhunttoo » 10 08, 2021 •  [Post 1]

I’ve said this the last 2 years and I haven’t been able to get stands up but next year I will have them. I had some more important things that came up this summer so fall hunting got placed on the back burner and tree stands weren’t a priority. Hopefully next year they are ready in early august for the season.

When setting up a stand what do you prefer, do you prefer to be below the trail/main spot you are sitting or above?

The trees I picked out this year are mainly below the trails so the wind is good in the mornings and late evenings but the mid day will be going towards the main trails. Hopefully with the stands it helps with the wind in the mid day but you never know what a gust will do. What do you prefer?
Elkhunttoo

Re: Above or below

Postby Swede » 10 09, 2021 •  [Post 2]

The majority of my stands are above the trail or water hole. I have a few below where I can blend in with the trees and not be seen.
I do not like it that elk can be at eye level and see me as an odd bump on the tree. They get nervous and keep looking my way so it is extremely hard to move effectively.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkhunttoo » 10 11, 2021 •  [Post 3]

You have me thinking now…the one area I’m sold on the tree below the trail…only problem is that it is a BIG tree. It has good branches and brakes up everything but it will definitely be a challenge to get the tree stand into

One of the trees I was thinking about in the second area maybe isn’t the ideal tree. I’ve looked it over fairly hard (sat it from a ground blind the last two years) and finally decided to go with the one below the trail. I still think it’s the best one but I will look at it more next year when we pack the stands in
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 10 11, 2021 •  [Post 4]

Being below the trail has the advantage when the diurnal winds are downward. Usually those thermals are not sloped downward so much that they come to the elk nearby. I too look at each situation and make up my mind then. Sometimes I change locations as things are not going as planned. I do not know a lot of things, but I have enough experience to have messed up a lot more than most.
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 10 13, 2021 •  [Post 5]

Swede wrote:Being below the trail has the advantage when the diurnal winds are downward. Usually those thermals are not sloped downward so much that they come to the elk nearby. I too look at each situation and make up my mind then. Sometimes I change locations as things are not going as planned. I do not know a lot of things, but I have enough experience to have messed up a lot more than most.

:lol:
What is you experience with the bigger trees…at my height (6) I can’t get my arms half way around this tree I’m thinking I like. Up higher it’s obviously smaller but still plenty big and will be hard to work straps around
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 10 13, 2021 •  [Post 6]

I go up on screw in steps, but I still don't like real large trees. How big of a tree are we talking about?
I prefer trees 14"-20" diameter breast height, but will go up to 24 inches. I don't feel too unsafe because I have a climbing harness from Hunter Safety Systems, but big trees are too much work. I do have a couple of ladder stands and can go up 15 feet by leaning one against the tree and climbing up from there.
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 10 14, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Way big :D …probably over 10-12 feet around at the base
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 10 14, 2021 •  [Post 8]

Build a ladder out of poles, as tall as you can handle, and go on up from there. I have made many ladders for just that purpose. I can usually make one in about an hour. Be careful to make it safe and secure. I had a friend break his leg because he used light junky material.
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 10 21, 2021 •  [Post 9]

Just curious Swede. I was reading some of the older posts on tree stand section and you said you build your ladder from poles … if you could give me a rough rundown of how you are building these ladders to make them sturdy and safe?

Nails? Screws? Lashing them? Im my mind you are using one long pole and nailing your cross/steps to the pole…just curious on these
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 10 21, 2021 •  [Post 10]

I cut down two tall poles that are about 5 inches in diameter on the large end. I cut them 17 feet each and lay them side by side with the base wider that the top. I estimate how wide the top should be to fit snug against the tree I will put my stand in. I use 16 penny galvanized nails for the rung ends. Screws work well too as the nails have a tendency to back out over time, but you will need to take in an electric drill for that operation. I have taken in treated 2x4 pieces and I have made them from available native material. If I use pole sections, I taper them on the ends so I have about a 1 1/2 inch thickness where it nails to the pole. After I get all the rungs set, I wire the cross pieces in. I have a large bales of soft wire I use for that.
I have no idea why I have measured my poles and cut them at precisely 17 feet. I like a tall ladder, but I have to be able to handle it. That is about as tall as I can set up on my own. 2x4 rungs are lighter than pole rungs and they fit snug easily.
After I set the ladder against the tree I climb it carefully and lash them together so the ladder cannot slip away. From the top of the ladder I continue up farther on screw in steps if the tree due to size permits.

Just a note. I like a ladder for any place I will be returning to for several years. I usually get 10 season from one of these ladders. The advantages are obvious, but the disadvantage is that they are easily spotted by other hunters. I suppose being seen by other hunters may also be an advantage as they know you are using that location.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 10 21, 2021 •  [Post 11]

20210421_161619.jpg

I use to be a pretty fair cabinet maker, but a real ladder is nice.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 10 21, 2021 •  [Post 12]

I certainly like a real ladder too. I used one once. I still have it, but was constantly worried about it taking legs and walking off. I feared it might take my stand with it too. I leave my home made ladders in place year in and year out. I have lost a couple, but it is no problem. They do not get packed in and out. One home made ladder disappeared and I have no idea where it walked off too. I am sure no one would pack it out, but where did it go?
Swede

Postby Lefty » 10 23, 2021 •  [Post 13]

Swede wrote:,,, One home made ladder disappeared and I have no idea where it walked off too. I am sure no one would pack it out, but where did it go?

Kind of a trick stealing a ladder,,, unless they have a ladder rack on their truck!

I admit I was concerned about theft. I strap them tight to the trees. so they would need to climb the ladder first,,, and that eliminates a few folks
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 10 24, 2021 •  [Post 14]

Certainly if theft or packing in and out are not an issue, like on private land, then an aluminum ladder is great. They have their advantages.
Swede