Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

2021 Tree Stand Plans

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

2021 Tree Stand Plans

Postby Swede » 06 23, 2021 •  [Post 1]

What are some of you hunters plans for tree stand hunting this year.

I will be primarily tree stand hunting for elk, but I have a bear tag and a cougar tag. If a cat comes by, I hope I can get it. I may shoot a big bear if one comes around. I do not know how long I will be out hunting. I expect I will be gone 20-30 days. It could be a little longer.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: 2021 Tree Stand Plans

Postby Lefty » 06 23, 2021 •  [Post 2]

I may be planning on a tree stand,,, Two locations already picked out.
One is over a small seep that the bulls seem to like the other is an elk highway intersection
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Elkhunttoo » 06 28, 2021 •  [Post 3]

My group is looking at maybe getting a few for this fall. We were texting the other night about some options. We a a few good places that if a person honkers down on should produce good results. Time to start going through the trail cameras and getting them ready to get back in the mountains and doing there jobs :D
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 06 30, 2021 •  [Post 4]

My trail cams are going out on a hike and being put to work next week. I think they have gotten fat and lazy sitting around and doing nothing for months. It is time for them to earn their keep.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 07 10, 2021 •  [Post 5]

Pulled my last bear camera last night.
It my be two weeks before they are placed in elk country.
I'm considering a tree stand in a little different country and a spike camp .
I discovered an old livestock water tank set up with good looking stand potential.
Lefty

Postby wawhitey » 07 10, 2021 •  [Post 6]

Well looks like a montana wolf hunt wont happen this year due to my work schedule , nor will any early elk seasons, so ill likely do late archery whitetail and elk in wa.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby ABQ_Chica » 08 15, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Hello again, everyone!

We drew elk this year, started scouting earlier this summer, and have been setting and checking trail cams. The monsoon season has been very good to New Mexico, but we'll still probably set up near wallows and water sources because that's where all the active hubs and trails still are.

This year is probably the most confident and relaxed I've ever felt. Spent a lot of time this past year working on archery form and release using a stretch band. Plus, I sorted and organized all my camping/hunting gear and clothing. So instead of my usual stressful pre-hunt scrambles and mad-dash shooting sessions, I'm ready.

The downside is that we're extremely short-staffed at my job, so no one's getting their time off approved. I had planned to take an entire week off. Instead, I might maximize short weekend hunts by sitting all day. It helps that our cams are showing activity all day long--including times we thought elk and deer would be bedded down.

And with elk, bear, and turkey tags burning a hole in my pocket, I can't complain!
ABQ_Chica

Postby Swede » 08 15, 2021 •  [Post 8]

It is good to see you post again Chica. Best wishes for your hunting.
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 15, 2021 •  [Post 9]

Good luck getting your time off… hope you get to hunt for your full week
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lefty » 08 16, 2021 •  [Post 10]

headed up to hike a potential tree stand location tomorrow or Wednesday!

I may need tree-stand plans. I want a big comfy stand, big enough for me and the grand daughter
Lefty

Postby Swede » 08 17, 2021 •  [Post 11]

Lefty, API used to put out some comfortable two person stands. I suppose they still have them. I was never interested, but they could be helpful for you and your granddaughter. When she is not there you could nap in your stand. Just make sure you are both secured by a life line from the time you leave the ground. :D
Swede

Postby Lefty » 08 24, 2021 •  [Post 12]

Weve been in the area twice this week, Unfortunately its a bit of a drive and a hike, and a bit deeper. I havenet hunted it much and have never seen anyone else in the area. A good healthy hike. Right now the area is thick with white-tails, Andrew is going white tail crazy and is about to abandon elk hunting until he gets a deer
Im Ok with it.

Five young bucks all hours of the day have his attention. Dont know what happened to the biggest buck, Haven't had a pic of him for three weeks

MFDC1298.JPG
Lefty