Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Stand Locations

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Stand Locations

Postby Swede » 04 29, 2021 •  [Post 1]

Where I hunt there are many places I can set a stand and get elk. I usually set out several trail cameras early in the summer, and pick two or three to hang a stand at shortly before my hunt. I read where some hunters have one spring or wallow for their stand, which they will sit at when they get tired of chasing elk and need a break, or they may sit there if use appears active. That probably fits their hunting plans. I also use to chase elk all morning then go to a stand in the afternoon, but have gone to just tree stand hunting.
Where I hunt the elk come around about once a week, so it pays to sit in the stand when there is no fresh sign. That indicates they should be back soon. I know that is counter intuitive, but not seeing fresh sign, and thinking the site was not going to be productive, nearly cost my son a bull one opening day. The elk arrived within an hour of his climbing into his stand.
Anyway I am wondering what some other hunters tree stand plans are for this coming season, and how you can benefit from waiting in a good stand?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Stand Locations

Postby Lefty » 04 29, 2021 •  [Post 2]

Well Swede you may be having your way with my elk hunting.
I have a seep/ wallow that It took a while to realize I heard bulls on the location 8 or nine different days, Im thinking of building a stand, Big enough to sleep in, a mini HiltonIl

l may post a pic of the area once the snow is gone
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 04 30, 2021 •  [Post 3]

Lefty: I can assure you the elk will not like to hear about you sitting in a tree stand. They hate tree stands! Look at it from their perspective. There is no sight, sound, or smell of a hunter in the forest when all of a sudden an arrow pierces through them in a split second. And they were just minding their own business going to a water hole, wallow or just walking down a familiar trail. It's disgusting.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkhunttoo » 05 01, 2021 •  [Post 4]

Last year half way through the season I told myself I was going to sit one spot the rest of the season. When my wife and I got to it there was no sign at all for the last week. Nothing on the cameras. So I moved on. The next afternoon the bull I chased all season came in early afternoon and did a photo shoot on my camera for me to let me know he was back... it was the last time he hit that camera during the season and he did spend the rest of the season in the area we went to...it was definitely a lesson learned though
Elkhunttoo

Postby Elkhunttoo » 05 01, 2021 •  [Post 5]

04783EB9-65E5-4773-BF98-D837C3BF10E8.jpeg
04783EB9-65E5-4773-BF98-D837C3BF10E8.jpeg (29.1 KiB) Viewed 2318 times

This was part of his photo shoot
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lefty » 05 10, 2021 •  [Post 6]

Swede wrote:Lefty: I can assure you the elk will not like to hear about you sitting in a tree stand. They hate tree stands! Look at it from their perspective. There is no sight, sound, or smell of a hunter in the forest when all of a sudden an arrow pierces through them in a split second. And they were just minding their own business going to a water hole, wallow or just walking down a familiar trail. It's disgusting.

Yes I may just become one of those disgusting tree stand hunters.
Part time anyway. :D
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 05 10, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Elkhunttoo wrote:
04783EB9-65E5-4773-BF98-D837C3BF10E8.jpeg

This was part of his photo shoot

Yep happens
Lefty

Postby TimberCruiser » 05 28, 2021 •  [Post 8]

I decided to set up a stand at an "X" of travel in a pinch point between bedding areas on public land for this big old buck. He only seems to show up between November 18-23 in the prime rut on the coldest mornings. Been studying this buck for three years now. I also tried for the first time setting up a vertical licking branch mock scrape to see if that does anything. When I set the stand up there was 4 does that walked by must be a good sign. :D
Attachments
targ.png
targ.png (429.42 KiB) Viewed 2228 times
TimberCruiser