Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Base Camp Tree Stand

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Base Camp Tree Stand

Postby Swede » 01 02, 2021 •  [Post 1]

I have a few tree stands very close to some of my base camps. If fact I don't like to drive far if I don't have too. Often these stand locations are real close to major forest visitor locations. Good tree stand locations are places where elk travel through. I have heard kids playing, dogs barking, motorcycles roaring, cars, trucks, and kids shooting all while in my stand, and none of it seems to bother the elk that come around.
Even hunters that hike a lot may want a day off to rest, or they may need to go to town to resupply, and have only a short amount of time remaining in the day when they get back. Consider taking your tree stand on your next hunt even if you don't consider yourself a "tree stand hunter". It can extend your hunting time, and is a productive way to increase your chances. Your stand does not need to be miles back in the forest.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Base Camp Tree Stand

Postby wawhitey » 01 02, 2021 •  [Post 2]

I had a few treestands set for the buck i was hunting the last couple years. The closest one was 200 yards from my camp, thats all. Down a steep open hillside that they didnt use often. I saw my buck and his rival more times in daylight from that stand than the other stands combined, all of which were 3/4 - 1 mile away. The stand right by my truck got by far the most action. It was just the right spot. But my failure to do needed pruning left me high and dry several times. Lesson learned.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 07 11, 2021 •  [Post 3]

Hmmm do I really want to confess.
Ive picked out two locations for possible stands this upcoming season. Neither will be close to camp. the drives will be longer than the walk in.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 07 12, 2021 •  [Post 4]

Lefty: Do you have pictures of your new tree stand locations? They sound interesting. Do you have trail cameras up in these places?
Swede

Postby Lefty » 07 12, 2021 •  [Post 5]

going in the morning to place trail cams
my wife is coming along so we'l get some pics
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 07 14, 2021 •  [Post 6]

I love my wife, but she doesn't always,,,,, well very seldom,,,,, maybe,,, does as I say. :oops:
The Watering hole she deleted all the pics,, , :roll: because they were dunb, just showing trees and cow trails.
nl
My only concern is all the good trees for stands are very tight to the trail, 3, 5 yards away. near the spring. . I also didn't realize there were 2 springs 20 yards apart. I still think it could be a great location, even if it is nothing like I thought it was.

The other, canyon, is a long ways from our camp, Kind of unique. At one time there were a series of beaver dams in the tight bottom. The one drainage has virtually dried up and a well used , cattle/game trail down the middle, with regrowth quakies 2-10 inches in diameter. the drainage is a series of trails that merge nearly in one place, the center of the beaver drainage, There is a little place with larger trees below the beave dam,, a bit more open,, :lol:

only pic I have right now. I plan on going up and check trail cams on the 21 st.

llllll.jpg
Lefty

Postby Swede » 07 15, 2021 •  [Post 7]

The area looks good with the Aspens and forage. I don't see a good tree to set a stand in. The large Aspen may be your best opportunity, but you can't go very high.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 07 16, 2021 •  [Post 8]

The most open area, I dont think I could find a lane 30 yards if I tried A neat place, always nice and cool
Lefty

Postby Swede » 07 17, 2021 •  [Post 9]

I do not care about 30 yard shots. Shorter shots are better. I prefer 10-20 yards. Last season I spine shot my elk. It was very easy to track down. It never went anywhere.
Swede