Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Climber?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Climber?

Postby Elkhunttoo » 10 04, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Starting the process of looking at what tree stands to purchase for next year. The more I look the more I’m intrigued by the climbing tree stands. A little more cost initially but don’t have to worry about ladders and climbing sticks. I figured the cost is about the same.

Concerns?

How big is to big of a tree for the climbing stands? We have some big (can’t wrap my arms around them) trees I’m looking at and I want it to work.

Some of the stand locations are close to each other and I think getting the climbing stands I would have to purchase less stands this way. Anyway let me know your thoughts?
Elkhunttoo

Re: Climber?

Postby Swede » 10 04, 2020 •  [Post 2]

I have used a couple of climbers. Generally I prefer to use a fixed stand. I hang my stand once and am done until it is time to take it down or move it.
That said: If the tree has only a few small limbs up to the place you want to stop climbing, and you are only going up a time or two, then the climber makes sense.
The following are some of my random thoughts:

Are you going to carry your stand in an out daily or are you going to hide it somewhere?
How good are you at determining the taper of the tree bole so your stand base is level when you get to your preferred height? If you are off, the base is not level.
It is quicker and easier to get into a fixed hanging stand that setting up and ascending a tree with a climber.
Of coarse I am assuming both stands are comfortable, quiet and safe. The ones I used were.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Rangerz » 10 23, 2020 •  [Post 3]

My hunting partner and I had the same debate earlier this year. I ended up with a hang on, he went the climber route.

There are good and bad about both options. I settled on the hang on due to the fact that it opens up a lot more options in terms of which trees you can utilize.

Climbers can be limited by the types of trees in the area. Most of them are limited to 20 or 22 inch diameter trees without limbs. My partner ran in to this problem in AZ due to the size of the trees.

Good luck in your decision.
Rangerz

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Poole

Postby Elkhunttoo » 10 24, 2020 •  [Post 4]

Thanks for the reply’s. I think we will go with hang on do to the size of trees but I might get one climber. I will be getting my trail cameras out of the mountains at in about 2 weeks. Going to do some research to see what areas I think are the best... I have a few spots I didn’t have cameras that are definitely in the mix for a stand next year
Elkhunttoo