Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

unprepared

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

unprepared

Postby toolman » 08 25, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Due to work and conflicting schedules I had little time to prepare for my opening weekend...

I was able to set cameras three weeks ago and set up a new ladder stand in a decent area...but unfortunately forgot my screw ins for the old "woody" at my wallow...
it is supposed to be in the high 80's Saturday and really think i should sit at the wallow.
i will be arriving at camp Thursday evening.

my question is...
should I sneak in to the wallow and set up on Friday morning?
this would consist of about a mile walk, screwing in steps, stringing the blind material and setting my chair...

or do I wait and go in extra early and try to do it in the dark Saturday morning...

or hunt my new stand in the A.M. and pack into "woody" for the afternoon hunt...not really an option due to possible activity at the wallow mid-day...

thanks in advance and good luck to all!
aarrrgh...lesson learned...
toolman

Re: unprepared

Postby Tigger » 08 25, 2020 •  [Post 2]

I would do it in the dark that morning. Nothing you are doing should make much noise, so just get there early and do it slowly and carefully while having a safety harness on attached to the tree. A linemens belt works well for putting in the steps. Also, do NOT assume the old wood stand is safe. Make sure you inspect it while you have your safety harness on. I like the rope that attaches on top and down low and a prussick (sp?) knot that you can move with you.
Tigger

Postby 7mmfan » 08 25, 2020 •  [Post 3]

I also would choose to do it early that morning.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 25, 2020 •  [Post 4]

When I first read it I was thinking Friday. But it makes more sense to do it all on Saturday so you aren’t going in twice...good luck to you. Make sure to keep us posted on how you do.
Elkhunttoo

Postby toolman » 08 25, 2020 •  [Post 5]

thanks Guys for the input...

you all confirmed my thought process...

ol woody is pretty solid...this is my 4th year sitting in it.
Last year I upgraded my harness and chair and always try to be safe as possible...the first 4 steps are big lag screws that where there when I found it and i remove my screw ins when I'm done for the season...I have had cows/calves come in and 2 years ago shot a a big Tom...(missed)...haven't yet had a shooter come in... hopefully my lucky year!
toolman