Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Swede

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 14, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Swede, around the 2:50 Mark on my video I just made I show part of a ground blind we put together on water and a wallow. It is elevated above the crossing like a natural tree stand. I guess is what I’m wondering is how much do you think the odds would increase if we put a tree stand in this spot vs the ground blind. Or and other spot?
Elkhunttoo

Re: Swede

Postby Swede » 08 15, 2020 •  [Post 2]

I keep getting an error code when I try to watch your video. I will try again, but am not optimistic I will see it.
Anyway: I prefer a tree stand, but ground blinds work. The advantages I get from a tree include 1. My scent is off the ground and may not ever go into the area I am watching. Occasionally it does. 2. Elk are less likely to see me if I have cover around That allows me to move some, but I still need to be careful. 3. I can have better shooting lanes. How much improvement I get depends on the individual situation.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 16, 2020 •  [Post 3]

I don't know why the link won't work, that's annoying. I was thinking I would be able to move more on the ground and stay more comfortable but maybe I was wrong with that thought. Probably all depends on each set up. I know we have one spot that needs a tree stand for next season. We will try and sit it this year but I can't find a good spot to make a blind. Yet, it has a perfect tree just calling for a stand.
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 08 16, 2020 •  [Post 4]

Having a blind on the ground allows you to move around more. You can even lay down awhile if you want. I have made two blinds so I could take better advantage of the wind longer at some locations.
Tree stands can be quite comfortable if you get a good one. I like the Millennium M100 as it is easy and safe to hang. It is very quiet and comfortable. It is on the heavy side, but if you are going to stay for hours and days, you will be thankful you paid a little more than the minimum. Some tree stands can be torcher for log stays. I had a stand with a seat that hurt me, so I called the factory rep and asked if they had a better seat. He said the factory seat was not intended to be sat on. They made another for sitting on. I purchased it and the stand is now very good, but not as good as the Millennium. You can purchase an extra hanger or two for the Millennium, so one stand can be used in multiple spots.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics