Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Morning, Noon Or Evening?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Morning, Noon Or Evening?

Postby Swede » 02 03, 2020 •  [Post 1]

What is the best time to be in your tree stand to get a passing elk? Well the answer is; it depends. If your stand is over water in a semi-arid area, I prefer to be there in the afternoon and evening. If I am waiting over a trail that leads to a bedding area I would rather be there in the morning. Elk can show up at anytime, so I usually wait all day, except I often get out of my stand for a lunch break. Game cameras can help you decide the best time and best locations.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Morning, Noon Or Evening?

Postby wawhitey » 02 03, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Elk, deer, bear, sasquatch.... whatever youre hunting, it can show up when you least expect it. If you got the wind, thermals, sun etc in your favor, stay in your stand, you just never know. Besides, what else do you have to do thats more important, sit in your tent and twiddle your thumbs?
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Re: Morning, Noon Or Evening?

Postby Swede » 02 04, 2020 •  [Post 3]

I have no problem with getting out of my stand to go get lunch or something. What hurts is to come back and see where a bull just wallowed beneath your stand. I have also come back to see the herd milling around my stand. That too is a little painful, because I can never call them over my way.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics