Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Needing cheap advise

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Needing cheap advise

Postby Lefty » 11 22, 2019 •  [Post 1]

So to intrude on Swede
Invited a buddy and his brother On a deer / elk hunt combo
Unfortunately the two of them have messed up knees So I’ll be keeping and eye on this page when Swede slips up and shares some good info
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Needing cheap advise

Postby Swede » 11 22, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Tip #1 Good stand locations for elk are usually poor for deer. You will see a doe come by once in awhile but they are not common. If you want a decent chance at both deer and elk go to the semi-desert fringe country at the edge of where the elk hang out. It is interesting that sometimes the fringe areas have a few big bulls and big bucks. I suspect Lefty has dealt with these areas extensively and may be more up on where to hang a good stand than I am. Anyway in most good elk country, deer hunting stinks.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 11 23, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Hunting the desert is one of our discussions last night
The one fellow at 57 had to retire knee replacements and shoulder/ arm didn’t work out so he can’t move much or use a bow
My buddy’s knees are gone too he is a mile a day and 500 foot elevation

With Tom I figure for arechery or early trophy bull we can have some reasonable call locations
I guess this getting old thug was worse on them than me
I’m was just hoping I get old snout to need to use a few stand locations like 85 years old
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 11 23, 2019 •  [Post 4]

"Cheap Advise" What else is there? All I have is cheap advise. This next item may not be real cheap. Buy a good comfortable stand and find a tree that keeps you out of the direct sun in the afternoon if at all possible. Being comfortable in a stand makes the hours a lot more pleasant. Of all the stands I have owned and used the best by far are the Millennium M100 and M100Us. They are not cheap, but with an extra hangers you can rig multiple trees and just move your stand around. That works fine if only one person is stand hunting.
Swede

Postby Swede » 11 29, 2019 •  [Post 5]

All I have is cheap advise, but I was hoping some others would chime in here. I guess if anyone needs help I could suggest they go with "wear warm socks on cold days" or something like that. If you want a private response so your cheap advise looks original, PM me. I am a cornucopia of useless information.
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 11 29, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Swede wrote:I was hoping some others would chime in here.

Okay, okay. Here it is.

Advise rhymes with wise, advice rhymes with mice. I advise you to use the word advice in the context of the thread title.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 11 29, 2019 •  [Post 7]

I stand corrected. I know better or at least should have. I guess the point here is to pay attention. I suppose there is an application in tree stand hunting. Thanks Whitey. :D
Swede