Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hunting Uncharted Territory

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Hunting Uncharted Territory

Postby Swede » 03 04, 2023 •  [Post 1]

Would you plan to hunt an area that you have never hunted, have no experience with and no one to look to for guidance? That is just what I am contemplating for this next season. The stats say some seasons are good to excellent there and some are a total bust. Private land and fire danger seems to be the cause, and I am told there few elk on the public land where access is limited. It would be nice to go there and scout first, but the area is snowed in until our applications need to be made.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Hunting Uncharted Territory

Postby Tigger » 03 06, 2023 •  [Post 2]

I have done it a few times. Don't be afraid of it. The last time I did it, we killed a bull and a cow for 5 people.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 03 06, 2023 •  [Post 3]

I think I am going to. I would like to have a scouting trip over there before I decide, but that is not possible.
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 03 06, 2023 •  [Post 4]

Adventure is what keeps us young Swede. Exploring new ground is always fun. I love hunting ground I'm familiar with but wouldn't hesitate to hunt new ground with several months to plan.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 03 06, 2023 •  [Post 5]

I have dots on my map and GPS quadrants to match. Some pools are muddy and look like they were hit by elk in the summer.
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 03 06, 2023 •  [Post 6]

Is this an archery hunt?
Or are you talking about putting in for a rifle?
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 03 07, 2023 •  [Post 7]

All of the decent archery elk units in eastern Oregon are draw now. I plan to bow hunt this year again. My doctor has put me on a Staton, and it is weakening my arms. I did not know that was a side effect, but confirmed it is. My doc is going to hear from me soon. If this weakening continues, I may be shooting a kid's bow.
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 03 08, 2023 •  [Post 8]

Gotcha

I’m not in the same boat as far as moving units but definitely worried about the area I’ve been hunting. Last year the area was way down on numbers. Hardly had any cows. I know other areas in the unit that have potential and I have hunted the areas but I sure like where I’m at the best.

Personally it’s hard for me to move areas but I do enjoy hunting new country…good luck
Elkhunttoo

Postby Elkhunttoo » 03 10, 2023 •  [Post 9]

Also good luck with the doctor Swede! Don’t work him over to hard
Elkhunttoo