Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Base Camp Tree Stand

Moderators: Lefty, Swede, Tigger, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Base Camp Tree Stand

Postby Swede » 01 02, 2021 •  [Post 1]

I have a few tree stands very close to some of my base camps. If fact I don't like to drive far if I don't have too. Often these stand locations are real close to major forest visitor locations. Good tree stand locations are places where elk travel through. I have heard kids playing, dogs barking, motorcycles roaring, cars, trucks, and kids shooting all while in my stand, and none of it seems to bother the elk that come around.
Even hunters that hike a lot may want a day off to rest, or they may need to go to town to resupply, and have only a short amount of time remaining in the day when they get back. Consider taking your tree stand on your next hunt even if you don't consider yourself a "tree stand hunter". It can extend your hunting time, and is a productive way to increase your chances. Your stand does not need to be miles back in the forest.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Base Camp Tree Stand

Postby wawhitey » 01 02, 2021 •  [Post 2]

I had a few treestands set for the buck i was hunting the last couple years. The closest one was 200 yards from my camp, thats all. Down a steep open hillside that they didnt use often. I saw my buck and his rival more times in daylight from that stand than the other stands combined, all of which were 3/4 - 1 mile away. The stand right by my truck got by far the most action. It was just the right spot. But my failure to do needed pruning left me high and dry several times. Lesson learned.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey