Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Wallows

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Wallows

Postby six » 08 12, 2016 •  [Post 1]

For some reason I cant get the search function to work. Can anyone tell me if the elk will be using wallows from August 27th-September 4th. I know where there are a few wallows where we are hunting. I have a tree stand all ready to go, but I didn't want to pack it in on the first trip if its not needed. Also I don't want to not pack it in only to find wallowing going on. I have never hunted this early before.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Re: Wallows

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 12, 2016 •  [Post 2]

Wallowing activity seems to diminish significantly as September rolls around, but, yes elk will still use wallows even into October (just not as frequently). As a general rule, you'll find wallows that appear were used heavily in August showing not much recent sign as you get into the September timeframe. All this said, it really depends on the area and its kind of the luck of the draw if elk will still be using them after August. Perhaps you may wish to consider constructing a minimalist natural ground blind vs packing in a tree stand if you locate some active wallows once you get into your spot this year (I always like to think there are various options for all situations)? Here's a trail cam pic from ID last year with a timestamp the end of AUG. Seems that this gentlemen had been stinking up a mud hole pretty well not long before the pic was snapped ;).
Attachments
WGI_0258.JPG
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 08 12, 2016 •  [Post 3]

Late August and early September is the peak time for wallow use. That said, wallow use is not something to focus on. Consider them like dessert. They are not the main coarse. I would set on a wallow near well used trails and springs or small ponds for drinking water.
Last September, I was tree stand hunting at a spring. Nearby (60 yards away) was a wallow and spring together. Because the spring alone, with multiple trails coming in get a little more use that the wallow, I sat there. As luck would have it a herd came to the wallow. I had no shot at the bull so I shot the lead cow when she came out of the trees in front of me.
Several years ago I found a fellow sitting in my stand at the wallow mentioned above. I talked to him and he said a bull bunch came into the nearby spring earlier but he had no shot at any. A lot of elk have died at these nearby two spots, but ole Fickle Luck gets a lot of laughs too.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby stringunner » 08 12, 2016 •  [Post 4]

Bulls use wallows, that's a fact. Bulls also drink at water holes, that too is a fact. An ideal situation for me would be to have both in close proximity to shoot at either from a tree, I have rarely found such places, though they do exist. At the end of the day though, I think wallowing is far less frequent than drinking and so if there is a definite difference, I'm placing my stand on the spring. I have a stand this year that is 150 + yards from a wallow that looks far better (past sign) than the spring, but again I'm betting on frequency as the season progresses more than the good looking wallow. Also I am happy to shoot a cow opening morning, and I suspect the chances at a cow or bull will be better at the spring either way.

Hope this post isn't too serious for Swede! I will place one of these yellow faces laughing so Swede can see something humorous in the thread to please him. :lol: :arrow: :D
stringunner

Postby Swede » 08 12, 2016 •  [Post 5]

Stringunner, it appears you are trainable. That university college education you did git was no waste. Still, I expect you to not shoot the last elk in the area and leave me to just sight seeing from my stand. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 12, 2016 •  [Post 6]

I'll just go with a simple answer... Yes, hunt that area
Elkhunttoo

Postby stringunner » 08 12, 2016 •  [Post 7]

Swede wrote:Stringunner, it appears you are trainable. That university college education you did git was no waste. Still, I expect you to not shoot the last elk in the area and leave me to just sight seeing from my stand. :D

Well if it works out like last year, you will be the one shooting the elk and I will be the one napping. :oops:
stringunner